Starting a shrimp colony in my 10g!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

himdie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok guys I currently have a 10G with driftwood Java moss and some rocks oh is 8.2 no ammonia or nitrite and <20 nitrates currently housing some platies I wanted to start a shrimp colony and was wondering what type of shrimp was good too start with?

Not atm =\ I one of those cheap cartridge ones which I added ceramic rings

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Question on sponge filters though are they just add-ons for hobs or they're own filter

they are completely different. You can also just add a prefilter sponge or pantyhose over your HOB intake and that would be fine too. Also RCS might get killed by platy, just might, not a for sure thing.

Hmm ok I might as well get a new filter any suggestions? And I know about the platies ill b rehoming them

RCS, and CRS are good starters
Do you have a sponge filter???

I would NOT start with CRS. They are more sensitive than RCS.

Start with RCS. If needed you can do PWCs with part tap/part distilled to lower PH and TDS. I use Prime as my conditioner.

Buy a TDS meter before you try CRS.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I've been using tap for the ten gallon and usually do half tap and half d/I with my 40 so I could easily do that with the ten gallon

So for a successful shrimp colony I should do ro water, make sure the filter intake can't suck in babies and make sure the fish don't attack em and have plants and hiding places that sound about right?

Honestly my RCS get plain old tap water (mine is fairly hard), but everything else sounds good to me! I have some java moss and driftwood in there for them.

Same I've got wood and java moss and rocks but kook thanks will do now I just gotta get shrimp

So for a successful shrimp colony I should do ro water, make sure the filter intake can't suck in babies and make sure the fish don't attack em and have plants and hiding places that sound about right?

Don't do straight RO water. Either Tap/RO or Distilled ...OR...RO with Seachem Equilibrium to add minerals.

I was thinking half and half

Test different mixtures to find what is optimal for your tank.

Edit *Darn spell check. Don't text your water LOL. Just test it.

I did with my 40g 3 parts ro to 1 part tap gives me a kh-4 and gh-8

And haha I figured you meant test =P

Back
Top Bottom