Temporary 2.5 gallon vampire crab tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishandmusic81

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just wanted to share the 2.5 gallon tank I got from work, meanwhile I start on an all out 10 gallon, or 30 gallon tall tank of it will fit.

Attachments

• image-2930763047.jpg
    image-2930763047.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 389
  • image-169062597.jpg
    image-169062597.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 292
  • image-3816050665.jpg
    image-3816050665.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 278
That is an awesome temporary setup!
I don't know much about vampire crabs (other than I want some)! Do you know a good place to read up on them?

That is an awesome temporary setup!
I don't know much about vampire crabs (other than I want some)! Do you know a good place to read up on them?

Thanks!
I kind of did a general google search of them, mostly found other forums with what people are doing with their setups. Not much is known about them so the info kinda goes back and forth. Ive just had them a few days and have fed them bloodworms and I put an algae wafer. I haven't seen them go in the water they've stayed on land so far.

And just to add to the thread, I'd love to here aboout others who have them and what they're doing and keeping them in.
Since I've had them only a couple days I'm still kinda nervous I've never kept crabs before other than hermit crabs.

I wanna know more about these buggers, there cute and would be an awesome pet. I been waiting to do a land/water tank for awhile an I'm debating on taking my saltwater down right now

That's what I've been doing as well for my fiddler & red claws. I would love to be able to consolidate all the good info for a book or webpage or something for people to easily referance. Mebbe even for pet stores so they don't just dump the poor guys in freshwater with no land & a shortened lifespan. I've been lucky so far, just winging it, using internet info, keeping most of my crabbies alive a year or more. But I wish I could really study up on them & make them thrive. Also I have a friend who gave up on keeping them as it was to hard to keep them with no internet and no access to how to keep them alive who said a book would be a good idea. So I would love to be updated as well. Especially since I'd like to try vampires & a Thai micro-crab next.

Luckily my LFS did they're research and have setups just for crabs. And they're doing well so far I've fed them algae wafers and blood worms.

Attachments

• image-1990543573.jpg
    image-1990543573.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 204
  • image-1630046054.jpg
    image-1630046054.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 225
I also feed my crabs dried brine shrimp & krill for the nutrients in their exoskeletons as well as hermit crab pellets for the fish meal ingredients. But they do love bloodworms & algae pellets are their veggies.

I also feed my crabs dried brine shrimp & krill for the nutrients in their exoskeletons as well as hermit crab pellets for the fish meal ingredients. But they do love bloodworms & algae pellets are their veggies.

Awesome Ill try out the brine shrimp and I'm pretty sure I've seen krill as well.

Alright I have some questions. Online info is very very confusing. Alot of people say these crabs are terrestial and therefore need very little water.
I was going to setup a 20 tall for them. I figured fill it 50-75% with water and have rocks, driftwood, and plants on top for "land" access. Now I dont know if that would work? Do yours use the water or stay on the rocks? If they dont use the water I may stick with my original plan and get waspfish....

Alright I have some questions. Online info is very very confusing. Alot of people say these crabs are terrestial and therefore need very little water.
I was going to setup a 20 tall for them. I figured fill it 50-75% with water and have rocks, driftwood, and plants on top for "land" access. Now I dont know if that would work? Do yours use the water or stay on the rocks? If they dont use the water I may stick with my original plan and get waspfish....

Mines have rarely gone into the water I pretty much always see them in land.

Looks great! I saw some of these today in my lfs and I am in the process of cleaning out the shed bound tank to put some in. One question - What's the plant you have there?

Back
Top Bottom