What morph of dwarf shrimp is this girl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcgolg76

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can't figure out what this shrimp is. Got her in a big lot of red cherry shrimp. Brown body with a cream colored stripe. Would love to breed her with a similar male. Think she is berried but hard to tell cAuse her underside is so dark.

Also seems to bigger then any of my other shrimp.

Attachments

• image-330461248.jpg
    image-330461248.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 163
Any chance of a clearer pic ? Almost looks like a small fan shrimp.. but I don't think that's what it is. Some of the amano shrimp may have a back stripe but not a dark body.

Better pic, maybe from the side if you can, might help

Will try again to take a pic. That shrimp looks berried and only male in tank is def a red cherry.

It does look berried.. and many of the cherry morphs have what is often called a racing stripe. But usually the stripe is pretty even, same width the entire length of the back. This pic looks like the stripe widens to the rear.. that's a bit odd. I've only seen that on a very few bamboo shrimp.. the large ones, not the dwarf size ones.

Also looks vaguely like it has stripes on the sides.. does it ?

Hear is another pic.

She never leaves that drift wood. My dwarf puffer ignores her but prob will eat the babies

Attachments

• image-1428079621.jpg
    image-1428079621.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 112
The mail is a reg red cherry with not too impressive colors. Would any of the babies look like mom?

This shrimp does not look like a neo species at all. It looks like it could be an Atyopsis species.. they are fan shrimp that need brackish water for their larvae. No live babies.

Look very closely at the front legs. If it is a fan shrimp, it will have tiny 'hands' on the ends of the front two pair of legs, not claws. They are filter feeding fans, with fine bristles on the 'fingers' of the fan.

In some variants of Atyopsis spinipes, the fan can be so tiny it's almost impossible to see, and if it is closed, even harder to see. But I keep a number of these shrimp and this one looks like Atyopsis spinipes, not Neocardinia.

If she is, and she is in fact berried, she was preggers when you got her.

If possible, catching her and placing her in a bowl of water will give you a much better look at her front legs. Closed fans come to a point. They prefer to feed in a current with the fans open, if they don't get enough that way, they can use the fans to grab food off the bottom. Some of the wild ones do that a lot, some don't. But they prefer a current for sure. If that's what this shrimp is, it may be the Golden Fan variant, which are so similar to Atyopsis moluccensis, the Bamboo or Flower shrimp, some think they are just baby A. Moluccensis. But they are a related species, and don't get much over an 1.25 inches long.

I ordered the shrimp online as red cherry shrimp. When I got them they were all clear. Maybe after three weeks I noticed that one and one other were turning brown so i culled them and put them in another tank. A couple weeks ago I added a male cherry to see if I could get them to breed.

Often cherries have little colour when they are young, it tends to develop as they get older. Some have very little of the red colour. Females usually have the best colour, males the least of it.

Wild cherry shrimp vary in colour, usually shades of browns, with hints of many of the colours that have been selectively bred for. So having some turn brown might only mean they were allowed to breed with another colour, which often produces wild colour shrimp babies.

They might be culls, or they might even be early generations from wild caught cherries. Anything is possible. But I've never seen a 'racing stripe' on a Neo that looked like this shrimp does. Usually they are the same width from front to back and don't extend into the tail fans. This one gets wider to the rear and appears to include the tail fans, as best I can tell from the pics.

So I don't know what to tell you. If it drops live baby shrimps, then it's probably an oddly marked and coloured Neocaridina. If not, it might be what I think it is, and got mixed up with the cherries. It's not unusual for some sort of mixup to happen at the original source of shrimps or fishes.

I once got five unidentified loaches in a group that were supposed to be Black kuhli loaches. Different colour, shape, size.. by catch is what they are. It can happen with shrimp too.

If she has babies, I hope they are what you want.. baby cherries.

Lol if her babies don't survive I got a million more babies in other tank. When I got the original 15 all of them were clear. No pink at all. Stress from shipping and they were probably young. Gonna see if I can catch her now to get a good pic.

Ok better pics

Attachments

• image-3425918717.jpg
    image-3425918717.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 99
  • image-1710043710.jpg
    image-1710043710.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 86
  • image-362479736.jpg
    image-362479736.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 97
  • image-78197475.jpg
    image-78197475.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 91
Well, no question this is female and berried. And probably a wild colour variant of the cherry shrimp. Don't see stripes on the side, don't see fans, so it's not what I thought it might be.
Seeing as she has no red, her kids may well be very dull too. The brownish wild colour is dominant over the recessive reds and other shades.. so they may end up as culls, but if you have lots of them, not too big a worry.
If you want red shrimp though, I would not continue to let her breed, as she'll just give you brown babies, not red ones.

Back
Top Bottom