Are goldfish happier with company

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newlyobsessed

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am a new goldfish owner and trying to get him in the proper sized tank without breaking the bank. I acquired this goldfish after taking my nephew to the fair and he lived through 4 months of a VERY small box plastic tank we purchased from the fair. He is now in 7.5 gallons but I have done my research and know he needs at least 20. I can't get the ammonia levels down. I have been looking New and used. Should I just get a 20 gallon with starter kit that have filter and all or should I go bigger (used) buy the filter and air pump and get him a friend? I think it's a he (Seymour)

Simplest solution would be a 55. It will make life easier. Goldfish are certainly happier with friends, but when they grow up to 7-10" it takes a lot to maintain good water with them in smaller tanks. I've seen goldfish live in a tiny tank (several pints of water) for years. Little feed, regular water changes. Stunted fish, but living. They are very very hardy.

Back
Top Bottom