Brook trout pet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm in ON and it is illegal to transport live game fish ie: you will be finned if caught with a live game fish not in a native body of water.

I would say a 6 foot tank bare minimum, lots of flow / oxegen and a chiller is likely requires, temps in the 60's are a must.

How long have you had it?
What is the temp of the tank? how stable is the temp?
how big of a tank is it?
how big is the trout?

My vote: It will likely die.

I’ve had it about a week
I live in NL can’t find anything on if it’s legal or not.
The temp don’t budge much from 60f/15c.
The trout is about 3 inches long
20gl tank

Live foods, at least frozen Blood worms, live fruit flies tiny crickets. There are places to get live Black worm cultures. Mosquito larvae. It wiould need to be trained over to trout chow type food. Maybe Fluval Bug Bites foods made with soldier fly larvae.

Thank you

I know what I need for keeping trout I just couldn’t find anything on what to feed it. And it can’t release it now it’s in the tank. And the water bottles are working for the moment that’s what I have been hearing for people using . It’s only a temporary thing with the bottles. All I asked was what to feed it

Angler?s Guide - General Regulations - DFO - Newfoundland - Anglers Guide
Number 17.
i will also take a wild guess that number 10 also applies to brook trout.

sorry if i upset you but i was only trying to offer help and information you may not have known. you didnt know what to feed the fish or your countries regulations on keeping the fish so i couldnt assume you knew what was required in keeping these fish. good luck.

Last edited:
In USA once you remove a game fish from its body of water you aren't supposed to put it back from what I recall reading. That is to avoid contamination of disease between fish populations.

Might as well enjoy keeping it if you can get it to acclimate to tank life, or get a small pond for it.

If you don't get caught it isn't a problem [emoji16]. Id say crickets and earthworms until you can introduce pellet/pond food. Maybe even flies and moths out of your house every once and awhile. Pull some snails out of your local lakes or streams. It'll have to be live food until you train it on processed fish food.

If you don't get caught it isn't a problem [emoji16]. Id say crickets and earthworms until you can introduce pellet/pond food. Maybe even flies and moths out of your house every once and awhile. Pull some snails out of your local lakes or streams. It'll have to be live food until you train it on processed fish food.

Well I haven’t been taking any pictures of it either and not sharing it with everyone just in case I’m not actually allowed to have it in the aquarium. But it’s been alive in the tank for a week so far. It don’t seem interested in the carnivorous pellets I threw in so I’m going to go get some earthworms until I can get something else I’ll probably get what you suggested thank you :)

Back
Top Bottom