Fancy goldfish care. Please help !!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skettbomb

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Iv only had a cold water aquarium for 4 months so I'm a beginner. It's a ten gallon and I have two fancy goldfish, a black bubble eye and a ryukin. I'm about to buy a 30 gallon tank as I know the one I have is to small for them to thrive and grow properly. But before I do so I need some advice. I do regular water changes, a 20% each week and a 80-90% each month. I put the correct or advised aqua safe neutraliser in but two days after a big water change my tank goes cloudy. Never mind that a cloudy tank doesn't look good I love my fish and want them to live a long healthy life. So please what am I doing wrong or what am I not doing. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks guys and gals

Welcome to AA!

Have you purchased the 30g yet? Please consider a 40g breeder tank instead (price is not much greater) as it will be much more suitable for these two guys. Filtration should be minimum of 10x the tank size though I suggest running more than this.

Your present issues are simply from a heavily overstocked tank and insufficient water changes. Increase your water changes to 50-75% every other day to daily until you can move them into a larger tank. A single one of these fish should have difficulty fitting into a 10g presently and they both should be growing at a rate of 1/2-1+ inch per month. A hefty water change schedule and a good diet should help to encourage proper growth. Please ask any questions!! :)

Just an FYI, a couple of times a year PetCo, don't get me started on them, runs a $1 per gallon sale. You can get up to a 55gal. I'd call ad find out. You could also go to Craig's list.

Back
Top Bottom