Floating goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kjm-rn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had a very small telescope goldfish for 1 week in a 10 gallon tank (I know I will need to upgrade). I am being very diligent about keeping the ammonia levels down by changing out the water in the tank by at least 50%, at least once a day. I am using Prime and Stability to cycle the tank. The ammonia level has consistently been at 0.25ppm, but tonight was at 0 when tested. The pH is 7.6, nitrites 0, nitrates 0. The temp of the tank is 68-70 degrees. I am feeding him tetra goldfish flakes, once per day, just a few flakes. He waits for the flakes to fall to the bottom of the tank and then pushes the gravel around trying to find the pieces.

Anyway, last night he started floating at the top of the tank, then would swim around, then back up floating. I was unsure if this was normal, but now I'm realizing it's not. Tonight he is almost exclusively floating and when I gave him a pea (for the first time) he struggled a lot (as if he was fighting the float) to get to the bottom of the tank to get it and promptly just floated right back up. What the heck is going on and how do I go about fixing this? Thanks for reading and helping.

There are several threads that deal with this issue, which sometimes can be attributed to feeding flake food, not feeding veggies, and the possibility of flukes, along with what you do about that.

See this one, and this one, and this one, and this one for some of the most recent ones.

There are several threads that deal with this issue, which sometimes can be attributed to feeding flake food, not feeding veggies, and the possibility of flukes, along with what you do about that.

See this one, and this one, and this one, and this one for some of the most recent ones.

Thanks for the links. I did do an extensive search on the topic before I posted, but all the posts sounded different than my case that's why I made a new thread.

He's not swimming sideways or stuck on the bottom of the tank. He's just floating at the top of the tank, he can swim, but is mostly just floating, sort of looks like he's just hanging out on top. I thought I'd skip on feeding him today and then give him another pea tomorrow.

I'm going to treat for flukes because it seems that it's easy to treat and won't cause any harm so might as well since I did just get him from the fish shop. I'll also pick up some sinking pellets to replace the flake food I have. Although he never ate the flakes from the top of the tank, he always scavenged the bottom for the flakes once they fell.

He does have a black spot on the top of his fin since I purchased him, not sure what that is.

If you could post a photo, that would help.

The black spot could be healing ammonia burns, but a photo would be helpful to really say about that.

And if you are not feeding vegetables, you should go ahead and start that.

Last edited:
I have had a very small telescope goldfish for 1 week in a 10 gallon tank (I know I will need to upgrade). I am being very diligent about keeping the ammonia levels down by changing out the water in the tank by at least 50%, at least once a day. I am using Prime and Stability to cycle the tank. The ammonia level has consistently been at 0.25ppm, but tonight was at 0 when tested. The pH is 7.6, nitrites 0, nitrates 0. The temp of the tank is 68-70 degrees. I am feeding him tetra goldfish flakes, once per day, just a few flakes. He waits for the flakes to fall to the bottom of the tank and then pushes the gravel around trying to find the pieces.

Anyway, last night he started floating at the top of the tank, then would swim around, then back up floating. I was unsure if this was normal, but now I'm realizing it's not. Tonight he is almost exclusively floating and when I gave him a pea (for the first time) he struggled a lot (as if he was fighting the float) to get to the bottom of the tank to get it and promptly just floated right back up. What the heck is going on and how do I go about fixing this? Thanks for reading and helping.

He is probably dying :(

I don't know where my picture and post is going, but here is the link:

IMG_1394 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Thanks for the help.

Are you talking about the black spot that looks like it is attached to the back and part of the tail fin? It looks it connects the fin to the body. Is that just the angle of the photo or a reflection?

If there's an attachment there, then, no - that's not like any ammonia burn I've ever seen.

Are you talking about the black spot that looks like it is attached to the back and part of the tail fin? It looks it connects the fin to the body. Is that just the angle of the photo or a reflection?

If there's an attachment there, then, no - that's not like any ammonia burn I've ever seen.

Yes that is what I was talking about. Sorry for the bad quality pic, it was hard to take with the floating and I used my phone. Maybe it's just part of his coloring.

I'm most concerned with the floating, he's still doing it. He has not had any food since Saturday except for a couple peas. I'm not sure how long I should go without feeding him.

Is it ok to treat for flukes when cycling the tank? Do I just empty the charcoal out of the filter bag before putting the Prazipro into the tank?

Thanks for the help.

Yes that is what I was talking about. Sorry for the bad quality pic, it was hard to take with the floating and I used my phone. Maybe it's just part of his coloring.

I'm most concerned with the floating, he's still doing it. He has not had any food since Saturday except for a couple peas. I'm not sure how long I should go without feeding him.

Is it ok to treat for flukes when cycling the tank? Do I just empty the charcoal out of the filter bag before putting the Prazipro into the tank?

Thanks for the help.

Prazi will not interfere with the cycle. Do take the carbon out of your filter. You are also supposed to discontinue UV sterilization and use of protein skimmers while treating with Prazi, but you have not mentioned either of those.

Have you tried other foods? Oranges have a very strong smell. You might want to take a section, peel off the membrane and try hand feeding him bits of orange. If he won't let you handfeed, then try letting a bit of orange float right by him so he can smell it. In the alternative, you can also catch him in a colander to feed.

Has he been pooping? If so, what does the poop look like? Normal poop should be the color of whatever food you are feeding, and shouldn't be stringy and/or bubbly.

Some other smelly foods include (blanched) broccoli bits. Green beans and spinach (blanched) are good for constipation. Of course, net any uneaten food (I'd give him an hour to explore it, if these are new foods to him) out of the tank to avoid contributing to an ammonia spike.

Prazi will not interfere with the cycle. Do take the carbon out of your filter. You are also supposed to discontinue UV sterilization and use of protein skimmers while treating with Prazi, but you have not mentioned either of those.

Have you tried other foods? Oranges have a very strong smell. You might want to take a section, peel off the membrane and try hand feeding him bits of orange. If he won't let you handfeed, then try letting a bit of orange float right by him so he can smell it. In the alternative, you can also catch him in a colander to feed.

Has he been pooping? If so, what does the poop look like? Normal poop should be the color of whatever food you are feeding, and shouldn't be stringy and/or bubbly.

Some other smelly foods include (blanched) broccoli bits. Green beans and spinach (blanched) are good for constipation. Of course, net any uneaten food (I'd give him an hour to explore it, if these are new foods to him) out of the tank to avoid contributing to an ammonia spike.

I really appreciate all the help you're giving me. He does let me hand feed him, he's very friendly. I've been hand feeding the peas and just gave him some broccoli. He can swim to the bottom, but if he stops swimming for a second he floats right back up. I'll pick up some oranges and give those a try.

I have not seen him poop at all actually, which I figure isn't a good thing, unless I'm just not seeing it.

I tried to pick up the Prazi, but the shop only had a giant bottle, so I have to try elsewhere for it. I have a feeling he's floating due to constipation since no poop, but I guess the Prazi won't hurt.

No the Prazi won't hurt. If you have canned or frozen green beans or spinach, try one or the other of those. For canned I usually rinse real well, and stick a bit of rinsed in the fridge for tomorrow, and eat the rest for my own supper.

Both of those veggies have a laxative effect. For regular feeding once you get through this period of illness, I'd feed one or the other once per week. Feed all other veggies and fruits - mine also like banana - daily, usually fruit on water change day due to the sugar content.

I leave veggies and fruit in the tank for up to 24 hours. So if I feed in the morning, I remove leftovers the next morning.

Unfortunately he seems to be doing worse today. Still floating, has had nothing to eat since the weekend (friday or saturday, can't remember) except for peas, broccoli, and spinach. He had been swimming until today, now he's just floating and spinning in circles when he goes by the filter. He looks really sad :(

Could I be doing something wrong with the water? My pH is 7.4, ammonia doesn't get higher than 0.25, nitrites 0, nitrates 20. I change the water 1-2 times daily by 50% and add in Prime and Stability.

Unfortunately he seems to be doing worse today. Still floating, has had nothing to eat since the weekend (friday or saturday, can't remember) except for peas, broccoli, and spinach. He had been swimming until today, now he's just floating and spinning in circles when he goes by the filter. He looks really sad :(

Could I be doing something wrong with the water? My pH is 7.4, ammonia doesn't get higher than 0.25, nitrites 0, nitrates 20. I change the water 1-2 times daily by 50% and add in Prime and Stability.

If you are doing a 50% water change once or twice a day, I wonder how you can have .25 on ammonia and 20 on nitrates. Often tap water will have .25 ppm ammonia, but not nitrates.

Have you tested your tap water? And are you using a liquid test kit or test strips. Test strips are frequently not very accurate.

If you are doing a 50% water change once or twice a day, I wonder how you can have .25 on ammonia and 20 on nitrates. Often tap water will have .25 ppm ammonia, but not nitrates.

Have you tested your tap water? And are you using a liquid test kit or test strips. Test strips are frequently not very accurate.

I am using the API freshwater master test kit drops. I find the ammonia really hard to read, a few hours after the water change it looks not as green as the 0.25, but not as bright yellow as the 0. I tested the tap water and it is 0 ammonia, nitrates are 10. I'm getting 10 on nitrates in the tank now.

I am using the API freshwater master test kit drops. I find the ammonia really hard to read, a few hours after the water change it looks not as green as the 0.25, but not as bright yellow as the 0. I tested the tap water and it is 0 ammonia, nitrates are 10. I'm getting 10 on nitrates in the tank now.

Those colors can be difficult to read. I usually hold the test tube up against a white paper towel or white hand towel.

How is the current in your tank? If the water level is low, then the current may be what's dragging him around. I have 5 goldfish, and one of mine did that once. I fed him skinned frozen peas only for about 2 days, switched to sinking pellets, and he was fine. Hopefully he's okay! Sorry about your fishy! :( good luck.

Also make sure you're checking your ammonia. With goldfish, your ammonia is more susceptible to being high in ammonia. Do frequent water changes, and check your levels!

Back
Top Bottom