Freshwater tanks to saltwater trying out a pond now!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Riley

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought my first pre made pond today from the lical menards 270 gallon pond with a 250-500 gph tetra pond filter.. I currently have a RODI water maker for my saltwater tanks am i gunna need to use that kind of water in the pond? I have it filled with regular well water right now for the ambience. Wondering what my next steps are? Is there a cyclying process like with aquariums?

Also doing a little reading on good live aquaria i never even thought about substrate! Should i do some kinda base? Small rock? Any ideas or input is great

No substrate unless you want it. Won't ever see it. So it will just make harder to clean. Are you going to completely bury the preform? I would. Cycle yes. What kind of filter are you going to use.

And no don't use rodi water. Although you could use the cast off water to fill pond.

K i was just thinking for plants in the future.. I do have it burried but in my journey of diggin "bymyself" about a foot down we have clay.. The hardest clay i broke a shovel trying to dig deeper so i put the pond in the hole ans filled around it and i am going to tapper a hill off the sides of it. I have tetra pond filter " from menards" for 250-500gph

Attachments

• image-3153418497.jpg
    image-3153418497.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 159
  • image-453806910.jpg
    image-453806910.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 162
And after a good ole fashioned thinderstorm in northwest indiana i awake to find it has shifted and settled..lame

How do i go about cyclying this thing? Should i do the same with aquariums?? My stock list consits of mosquitio fish maybe 2 koi and the other amount cool lioking fish just dont remember the name.. Do i just bag float them? Do i need do any other kind of acclimation? I have a 100 gl tank in my basement just running empty if i do need to quarintine anything but im hoping its nothing like a aquarium acclimation

Here are a few updates on the pond.. Having a few issues with animals.. One question i woul like to ask HOW CAN A SPIDER LIVE UNDERWATER!!!! I have been watching this guy for awhile hea huge and doesnt look nice.. As far as the raccooooons go they arent going after my fish yet but they are wreaking havoc on my landscaping.. Any ideas on how to keep then out? Was gunna take a trip to menards to see what they have to say about it but mothballs maybe? Or what?

Attachments

• image-493480218.jpg
    image-493480218.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 144
  • image-3049265685.jpg
    image-3049265685.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 148
The pond looks great. As for the spider, I bet the fish you want might eat it. I've never seen an underwater spider. So maybe its on its way out.

Its been in there for days :/ i have been watching it for awhile.. And this may be off topic but does anyone know what kind of snake this is? I live in northwest indiana and i really dont think this guy belongs here..

Attachments

• image-3709160550.jpg
    image-3709160550.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 122
  • image-3892321078.jpg
    image-3892321078.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 111
  • image-3732581509.jpg
    image-3732581509.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 112
Its been in there for days :/ i have been watching it for awhile.. And this may be off topic but does anyone know what kind of snake this is? I live in northwest indiana and i really dont think this guy belongs here..

Eeeek! *faints

Aww that's a sweet setup, I'm gonna be getting a preformed liner like that pretty soon. You should just scoop that spider out and kill it...if its venomous , it could kill/make your fish sick if they eat it.

Just wondering how long did the digging take by hand? I'm gonna be doing this pretty soon

No moth balls, they are toxic...and smell awful.

I understand there are deterrents like fox urine to apply around the areas they like to travel. Haven't personally used it though.

Also if you leave food out for dogs or cats it is a magnet. I almost had the little buggars in my arms they came so close, they got into my sun room more than once and had to be very cautious not put food out for the stray cat except a small amount in the morning, and had to close off the cat door I had in the window. More than one sad story of the raccoons eating expensive sushi in a pond. I have a 120 gal pond preformed and keep netting on it and so far the birds and raccoons haven't got any.

I took dark netting and strung black outdoor grade (for hiking and camping stuff) elastic from the sewing store woven through the 2 in spaces and cinched it up and pulled around and fits under the edges. It isn't as Zen looking but we have lots of predator birds. Also set a rock or fake rock cover so the fish can hide away if a raccoon or birds come maybe lose less that way. Also deterrent for some birds is having trees or over hang so they can't as easily swoop down and grab and go. I am thinking of adding a wood pergola over top extra shade for hot summer.

Back
Top Bottom