Garage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maridia

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can Goldfish be kept in a 40G Breeder in a garage with no heater? Don't want to be inhumane, but there is no more room in the house for me to have another tank. I hear that goldfish are very hardy in frigid conditions. I'm not seriously considering this yet, but I am speculating. Thanks

I would say yeh but in a larger tank then that unless your talking about fancy goldfish and even then I'd get a bigger tank

Sent from my PRO7D using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How frigid are your temps? What type of goldfish? Goldfish are cold hardy to a point. Fancies are less hardy but some breeds fair better than others. Depends on the breed and how low your temps are in order to make suggestions.

How frigid are your temps? What type of goldfish? Goldfish are cold hardy to a point. Fancies are less hardy but some breeds fair better than others. Depends on the breed and how low your temps are in order to make suggestions.

Not entirely sure of what kind of goldfish yet. I was mostly speculating at this point. But winters here can get down to 10 degress outside and about 105 in the summer. They would be in a garage. Though the more I think about it, the more it's becoming a bad idea. ^^

40g isn't enough water, but goldfish have the ability to "hibernate" in very cold water. They all but shut down and basically wait until it gets warmer. You could do it in the garage, but if you have them outside, you might as well dig a pond at that point.

Not entirely sure of what kind of goldfish yet. I was mostly speculating at this point. But winters here can get down to 10 degress outside and about 105 in the summer. They would be in a garage. Though the more I think about it, the more it's becoming a bad idea. ^^

Ten degree air temps is not a death sentence for goldfish (depending on breed) but the possible setup would be. Ten degrees in a glass tank in garage would mean the water would be frozen solid. A heater (likely two) would be an absolute must here. 105+ in a garage in the summer would even be too much for most tropical fish. There isn't a way around this without either AC or a chiller.

An inground, reasonably deep pond run with a good deicer and circulation pump(s) will be perfectly fine at 10f temps (or lower) for 'most' goldfish. We have had record cold here with temps below zero and my outdoor guys are fine. :)

Ten degree air temps is not a death sentence for goldfish (depending on breed) but the possible setup would be. Ten degrees in a glass tank in garage would mean the water would be frozen solid. A heater (likely two) would be an absolute must here. 105+ in a garage in the summer would even be too much for most tropical fish. There isn't a way around this without either AC or a chiller.

An inground, reasonably deep pond run with a good deicer and circulation pump(s) will be perfectly fine at 10f temps (or lower) for 'most' goldfish. We have had record cold here with temps below zero and my outdoor guys are fine. :)

Wow! That's really cool! Like I said, they would more than likely be in my garage. Not too concerned about the water actually freezing. It only gets that cold outside. I imagine it's more like 35ish degrees in the garage, but they would definitely boil in the summer. I've seen vids of people housing fancy goldfish in 40GB tanks. They look beautiful! I'm debating converting my current tropical tank to one of these

I have a 55 gallon with sharks, guppies and some loaches and a 20 gallon long with 2 figure 8 puffers and I just put a heater in them and my water stays about 78 to 80. During the summer months I keep my garage window open and I have a fan to circulate the air and at times the water will hit 86 but they says it's not to bad that it will prevent some diseases when it gets that work. Gold fish will be fine during the winter. It's just keeping the tank from cracking during the winter

You can get a large 175gal live stock tank for under $200. It is deep enough for the goldfish to hibernate and enough water to keep them clean.

Back
Top Bottom