Goldfish needs your help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liberty2k4

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys! I'm relatively new to fish keeping but I think I have a pretty good understanding of the basics. I've had my two oranda goldfish for about 4 months now. They are in a 60 gallon tank that I fishless cycled. My smaller fish gets red spots on him sometimes that usually go away in a day or two. Recently his fins have begun to fray. I looked it up and came up with fin rot although my tank parameters are pristine. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5-10 nitrate, pH 7.4. I always use prime when doing water changes and water tests fine out of tap. Sooo...I picked up some Melafix to help with the fins and began treating yesterday. Today, his red spots are worse than ever along with some red veining in fins and around one side of his gills. The other fish looks absolutely perfect. What the heck is going on with my poor fish!??

whoa sorry man about your fish i cant exactly help you as much but i heard using epsom salts will usually help treat most diseases and i dont know too sure but do you have any other fish? besides the other goldfish? if they're too aggresive (his tankmates) if they are if they ram into him ive seen my feeder goldfish do this once it could cause some internal damage causing the vains

Could you post a picture? I once had lost a fancy to dropsy who showed similar signs. Is there any bloating?

It sounds like some type of toxicity issue - that would cause the red veining.

How often do you change water, and what % is changed?

I have found that my water parameters can look quite good with a test, but I know the water needs changing if it goes slightly yellow-green and my Calico fantail starts getting grumpy.

I have found that despite good test results, I really have to change 50% of the water every 3 days - with that schedule the water remains clear and Spotty stays cheerful :)

Maybe you could try doing a 50% water change every day for at least a week, and see if that helps. I'm no expert, and so you might wanna wait until one of the moderators replies.

I hope this helps.

PS I think sometimes the medications can make fancy goldfish worse - I have only read this and have never used medicine on my fish.

Sounds like fin rot to me the first fish I lost had the same thing, then the tail rotted away even with medicines it never got better I didn't no at first what it was till I did a lot of research and the main sign of fin rot is red veins in tail and fins,

I agree to start by increasing your wcs, even if your parameters 'appear' fine. Can you possibly post a pic of your fish so we have an idea of his condition? We will be better able to make suggestions once we have a better idea of what's happening!

Back
Top Bottom