Goldie the fair fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shex613

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So my kids brought home a fair fish and happily put it I'm my 55g tank and it has doubled in size. He has taken care of my pesty snail problem but has been out a control eating. I give my pleco a cucumber every week and well "Goldie" has been feasting on it all night. Question is how big do these fair fish get and is there any problem having him in thereImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410404053.011085.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Goldfish LOVE their veggies! And fruits and plants and anything green for that matter. Not a bad thing as they are healthy eaters but offering lots and lots of veggies will limit any plant damage in a tank. If your concerned about your pleco not eating his share, just double up on the veggies offered.

Common goldfish typically given away as prizes can grow about 12+inches with good care. Great job on housing him in a decent sized tank! Please ask if you have any questions! :)

Great Pic Shex!!!!

Yep, they don't tell you when you win those fish how to take care of them, but putting it in a 55 gallon was Awesome!!!! I Love to see that! My Daughter won a Shubunkin and we started with a 10 gallon until I joined this Forum and found out how Big they get and how much they Poo!! Just make sure you have enough Filtration... Most experts recommend 10x the tank size in gallon per hour circulation. For example: 55 gallon tank = pump circulation of 550 gallons per hour from the filters! Sounds like a lot, but very important due to the amount of Ammonia Goldfish Produce. Even in a well cycled tank you end up with Spiking Nitrates.

I just got a 75 gallon and added a Fluval 406 AND a Marineland Emperor 400 HOB.

As for the veggies... I am not an expert, but Goldfish do not have a stomach (they don't get Full), and a lot will just eat and eat and produce more and more waste that will create the need for more water changes and gravel vacuuming. Keep an eye on the gravel.

That all being said... You are doing a Wonderful Job and gave that Fair Fish a Fighting Chance at a Very Long Life!!! (10+ years!)

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks! I have an aqua-tech 30-60 and Penguin Bio-wheel 200 on it. My mystery snails do an awesome job on gravel clean up. That goldfish even cleans up the gravel. Now if I can get it to leave my wisteria plants alone we all would be happy

I have read that Goldfish like to eat aquarium plants... There are some that grow fast enough and spread out so they keep up with the Goldfish's appetite.

Oh would never. He is way happy in my 55g and he took care of my nasty pond snail problem. Thank goodness, those things are nasty.

Snails are bad in large quantities but they'll take care of algae for you! But Goldie will do that too so you don't need those snails anyway.

NatureFish
????

Nope got them with some plants I got of course. But I breed mystery snails and for some reason that goldfish doesn't eat those. I have seen him, maybe 3 times, suck up a baby mystery chew on it and spit it out a few times over and over but he leaves then alone. I have about 20 pea size mysteries in there and they are thriving so I'm scratching my noggin about that one?

You breed mystery snails? I can't even keep one of those things alive! I don't know what I do but every single time they die!!! Probably don't get enough oxygen. I fed it algae wafers but it STILL died. I have had like 5 and they all die!!!

NatureFish
????

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410721843.274611.jpg. Oh geez where to being. I have them in both my 10g and 55g. They love oranges and cucumbers. If you want them to breed put them in a 10g or smaller, keep the temp at 74 or lower, dark, and let the tank get dirty...mine seem to like it that way. Keep the water line down an inch or 2, so they can travel up to lay their little pods. Once the babies hatch they fall down into the gravel, then you can put algae wafers in and watch them grow. I have only kept guppies and mollies in with the babies because I think anything else would eat them. They grow really fast and are pretty awesome to watch

Back
Top Bottom