Gulping Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kirkland795

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 60 gallon with three goldfish in it. Over the past week my two fancies have started spending a considerable amount of time at the top just gulping air. My black moore does not gulp at the top and swims around normally. All fish are healthy and still eat normally. No fungus or disease is present. I recently did a 30% water change a week ago and I use a gravel vac about three times a week to help remove excess waste and prevent ammonia build up. I have a marine land 400 power filter made for up to 90 gallons and I also have a bubbling volcano to help add extra oxygen. I've heard heard their gulping behavior may be due to lack of oxygen in the water but if that was the case why would my black moore not be gulping for oxygen as well. Any suggestions about this problem?

Ok so I tested my water and Nitrites are at 3 ppm! and my Nitrates at 40 ppm. I'm guessing more frequent water changes are needed? I change 30-40% every two weeks and combined with my gravel vacuum 3 times a week I thought that would be enough. Maybe my tank hasn't properly cycles yet? I've had it up for 3 months now. I did do a complete water change when I moved about three weeks ago but I kept my biowheels and all the filters with good bacteria. I even added media stars three weeks ago to help grow bacteria. Suggestions please!

Your tank is not cycled. Nitrites that high are dangerous. You need to do much larger water changes every week. I do 80% weekly along with vacuuming. I would also strongly recommend a lot more filtration.

Thanks I just did a 50 percent water change and will do another one tomorrow or the next day. I'll probably do a larger change like you suggested. My tank has been set up for a while now, any suggestions on why it hasn't cycled?

Also a random question. Water changes have become difficult as this is my first larger tank. I can easily siphon out the water I want to remove but filling the tank up again is quite the process. I have to have my husband help with 5 gallon buckets. Do you have an easier method as my husband isn't always so keen on helping with fish water lol

Did you use a bacterial starter? If not, it will take a lot longer. The one I use is Dr. Tim's One & Only and I've always had excellent results with it. If you decide to use it, follow the instructions to the letter. Get it from the website and that way you can be sure it's fresh.

Also, don't add any more fish. Three is the most I would keep in a tank that size. Even if they're small now, they'll grow fast, especially if you're feeding them proper amounts of high quality food. I have a moor right now that has quadrupled in size in ninety days. A Ryukin that weighed in at 20 grams about a year ago is now nearly the size of my fist.

Also a random question. Water changes have become difficult as this is my first larger tank. I can easily siphon out the water I want to remove but filling the tank up again is quite the process. I have to have my husband help with 5 gallon buckets. Do you have an easier method as my husband isn't always so keen on helping with fish water lol

That's an easy one! Get a Python water changer.

Well I've been feeding them NLS pellets and fresh veggies and oranges and some brine shrimp but they are growing very slowly still. I used quick start which has nitrifying bacteria in it. I don't plan on getting anymore fish in this tank. Thanks for all the tips.

One more thing - gravel vacuuming. Three times a week is too much right now. Only do it lightly once a week for a while. When your tank is solidly established you can do it more. Beneficial bacteria grow on the substrate as well as in the filter. Heavy vacuuming is removing too much of the bacteria you're trying to grow. Good luck!

If your nitrites are reading at 3ppm, I would continue to do large daily (or more frequent) wcs until it reads zero then continue to do frequent large wcs (50+%) at least 2x a week. Frequent gravel vacs do not affect your good bacteria but replacing filter media regularly will have a pronounced affect. I would also consider adding a second large filter as the present filter is not sufficient to handle a 60g with messy fish. Water changes are the key right now though as your tank is in cycling process and Prime will also be helpful in limiting the effects of toxins.

A python or aqueon or any other similar type of water changing system will help to make wcs on this tank a breeze! Please ask any questions!

If your nitrites are reading at 3ppm, I would continue to do large daily (or more frequent) wcs until it reads zero then continue to do frequent large wcs (50+%) at least 2x a week. Frequent gravel vacs do not affect your good bacteria but replacing filter media regularly will have a pronounced affect. I would also consider adding a second large filter as the present filter is not sufficient to handle a 60g with messy fish. Water changes are the key right now though as your tank is in cycling process and Prime will also be helpful in limiting the effects of toxins.

A python or aqueon or any other similar type of water changing system will help to make wcs on this tank a breeze! Please ask any questions!
Just to clarify, you think frequent gravel vacuuming is ok for the bacteria balance in my tank? and I change my filters about every 4 weeks and they contain carbon. Do you think that is adequate? After a 50% water change yesterday and adding some quick start my nitrites are slightly lower but I plan on doing another water change today and to continue with them like you suggested. Thanks for all the help.

Also one more question. I already have the filter I previously stated hanging off the back of the tank. It is a two compartment filter and quite heavy, would adding a second filter of the same type be ok? That would be a lot of weight hanging off the back of my tank and I want to make sure the integrity of my tank would be ok. I'm hoping to go with this option since I can't afford a canister filter or any filter that is expensive right now. This question might sound silly but I would rather be safe than sorry!

I have never had any issues with multiples of these and other similar filters on 55g's so the weight of the filters should not be an issue. I would recommend stopping changing the filter cartridges though as your basically resetting your cycle to square one every time you do this. The blue manufacturer cartridges for these filters are quite tough and will last years. You can either just leave the carbon in them (becomes a home for your good bacteria) or you can slit the bottom and dump it out. Then you can stuff filter floss or foam into the empty pocket. Just swish them around in some used tank water weekly when you do a wc.

Carbon simply is not necessary for a healthy fw tank but if you feel you need to use it, you can always fill the grey plastic cartridge boxes with carbon (or purigen or another type of chemical or bio media) and alternate changing them as needed. :)

Back
Top Bottom