Hand feeding my poor ryukin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miyavp

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So my ryukin road runner has been having some problems with SBD and internal parasites (I am medicating him for them) and he cant make it all the way up to the top of my tank for feedings. Usually the food sinks but this batch of gel food hasnt been wanting too.

So I wash my hands real well rinse with scalping hot water to remove any soap residue and gently cup him in my hand and bring him up to the surface so he can eat. At first he was a little startled by this.

But now he swims into my hand and spends his time eating instead of freaking out. Its super cute I might post a video. Would you guys do stuff like this for your fish or am I just weird? Lol

I feel super bad because he cant swim right, ge just sits on the gravel and mopes. He wiggles around the gravel during the day but I dont see him doing any actual swimming very often. Just lots of wiggling.

I thought he was constipated at first but after a week of boiled peas and fasting without any help I ordered metrodozile.

Its kinda a pain because I have to make the food every week and its about an hour long process but if he gets better it'll be worth it.

It is adorable and very kind of you to do this to your little guy! If you find you don't have time to do this one morning, I would like to just make a suggestion! Tubeflex squares - break them into smaller pcs. and then with your hand put them down near the bottom, (they usually float up) press them against the glass until all the air bubbles are out and it will stick there. I have to feed my BGR that way because he won't go to the top either! I used to use 5 paper clips, attach the food to them and let them sink till he ate. That was a pain because it would dethatch and there was food floating everywhere!

So I made the video but he wasnt real big on his food today. Idk what was with him he kept spitting it out. Its the 5th day of his full doseage medication and this is the first day he's not wanted it. If this continues I'll have to treat the water and feed him peas.

I'll post the link to it as soon as I get it up. That might be tommorow. Just got back from my boyfriends baseball game.

Its not the greatest its hard to direct a fishes mouth and a camera at the same time. He kept spitting his food out today. I'm not sure if these meds are working.

Back
Top Bottom