How to make a half barrell pond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PondFond

Aquarium Advice Activist
-buy a half whiskey barrell from a local garden shop(10$)
-buy a pre molded lining(30$) and place it in the whiskey barell.
-fill it up with water
-buy a pump small pump for the pond to keep water moving(25-75$)
-Buy a bubbler(oxygenator) and a bubble rock and place it near the pump in your pond so the oxygen is circulated(20$)
-put chemicals in the water if you plan you house fish(use dechlor or what i use, laguna pond prep)
-buy some small fish(comets, shabumpkins, fancy goldfish/fantails) please do not get koi enless you have someone to give them to once they get too big. I have 2 and i have to give them away soon.about 12 fish max(depending on size) (10-70$)
-get some decorative and oxygenating plants for your pond to shade your fish from the sun(10-50$)
-place the pond somewhere will it will get only a little bit of sun. A deck perhaps.
WARNING- these ponds cannot be winterized enless a heater is used, make sure you have a winter home for your fish. You can move these

ENJOY your enexpensive, easy to care for oasis :D

Actually you can put a small heater in there and keep it a good temp all winter.

PondFond said:
-buy a half whiskey barrell from a local garden shop(10$)
-buy a pre molded lining(30$) and place it in the whiskey barell.
-fill it up with water
-buy a pump small pump for the pond to keep water moving(25-75$)
-Buy a bubbler(oxygenator) and a bubble rock and place it near the pump in your pond so the oxygen is circulated(20$)
-put chemicals in the water if you plan you house fish
-buy some small fish(comets, shabumpkins, fancy goldfish/fantails) please do not get koi enless you have someone to give them to once they get too big. I have 2 and i have to give them away soon.about 12 fish max(depending on size) (10-70$)
-get some decorative and oxygenating plants for your pond to shade your fish from the sun(10-50$)
-place the pond somewhere will it will get only a little bit of sun. A deck perhaps.
WARNING- these ponds cannot be winterized enless a heater is used, make sure you have a winter home for your fish. You can move these

ENJOY your enexpensive, easy to care for oasis :D

i don't bother trying a heater because whenever i mess with fish that need heat they all die. Thats why i am a pond fish guy!

I was meaning unlike most ponds where a heater will just keep a hole open, on this small of a pond it will keep it nice and warm.

ok sorry i didn't really get your point but now i understand what you are saying. I was just playing it safe and said bring them inside beacuse sometimes heaters are not powerful enough

Durabarrel!!!

Made from recycled plastic, needs NO liner! Almost impossible to tell from a real 1/2 whiskey barrel, and they last virtually forever. I've had mine 4 years (I think), and you can't tell the diff from the day I bought them.

One of the best products on the market. They frustrate me through lack of marketing/advertizing. I have 4, they are Great!

Two years ago, my local tree frogs layed eggs in them, it was so interesting to watch the tadpoles grow up into tiny little frogs! Each frog could fit on a nickel, easily. Sadly, the local birds found them and ate a LOT before they could hop off to the woods, but that's nature, I didn't interfere.

yes that is what i mean, sorry i was not more precise. All you need is a little pond prep of as you said dechlor. Just the usual ones that you would put into a large pond, Just not the same amount :)

i have heard of those durabarrel except when i saw them they were twice the price as the whiskey barrell and liner put together. Good idea though for those who dont want the smell of whiskey in their garden.

The Durabarrels are made of recycled plastic, and have 2 real steel straps around them. They look very realistic, and seem indesructible to me. The initial cost might be more than a wood barrel and liner, but the wood ones will rot, the durrabarrels don't. In the long run it makes more $$ sense to me. I bought mine at the BORG*, for around $40.

The whiskey smell: The first time I saw real whiskey barrels in a hardware store, I thought the guy who was helping me find something was drunk! Took me a minute or two to realize the smell was coming from the barrels right behind him!

*Big Orange Retail Giant, otherwise known as Home Depot!

well i am just i kid planning to get a bigger pond when i grow up so a real one is fine for me. it'll prolly last how long i want it to.

p.s. corvuscorax, i love a avatar

Thanks Jason, me and Dudley (my basset hound) appreciate the compliment!

I see in your sig you have a couple Koi, you do know they need a Lot of room to grow up properly, right? For their sake, if they start to outgrow your tank and barrel, trade them in at your lfs, ok?

Not giving you a hard time, but if you wanna change your own posts, there's a button in the upper right, says "edit". :wink:

You can call me corvus if you like, (many folks here do) I know the whole corvuscorax is a pain to type!

yes i know koi need alot of room to grow. Mine are only little babies but i have a home for them once they grow another inch or so (they are only 2 inches now). Thanks for the info about all that other stuff too, can't you tell i am new here

Thanks for the info about all that other stuff too, can't you tell i am new here
Yeah, of course I can, just trying to help. Hope I'm coming across friendly :) , cuz That's my intention!
yes i know koi need alot of room to grow. Mine are only little babies but i have a home for them once they grow another inch or so (they are only 2 inches now).
Great, glad to hear it! I just don't really know your level of fish/pond/aquarium knowledge yet, so please forgive me if I say stuff you already know. 8)

its ok
i'm just a kid and people question my knowledge all the time but this is my passion and i plan to do something with it in the future

pics of our half barrel pond

Hi, there. I'm new this this forum. Our half barrel pond is doing so well, our little comets are bredding! We did a search on the internet to read about what to do, in order to continue caring for our pond without disrupting the breeding process. Thought you might enjoy a photo.

Back
Top Bottom