Recommendations for small outdoor pond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danio8

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anyone have any plant or fish recommendations for a 125 gallon outdoor pond. In the summer it usually drops down to about 40 fahrenheit and is 70 - 80 fahrenheit in the middle of the day. The pond gets full sunlight around noon and mostly shade the rest of the day. We have racoons so we would preferable not like to get any very brightly colored fish. In winter, it snows many feet and sometimes the temperature drops to 10 fahrenheit. If anyone knows of any fish or plants that can survive freezing temperatures that would also be helpful. Plants that will regrow after winter would also be good. -Thanks!

Many years ago I had a similar pond and I used a heater in winter to keep it cold but usually not Frozen except during the couple times in very harsh winter. Mine had a net on top as tje couple young Koi were my little favorites. I kept some Anacharis. And a hardy water lily. We down to -10 to -20F. At times and some days are much nicer.

If you can find out which plants grow in the waterways around you, those would be good.

Back
Top Bottom