ill Oranda

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carag

Aquarium Advice Newbie
can anyone suggest what could be up with my red cap Oranda. He is tucked in by filter as if he was dead he has no energy to swim and when he does he is wobbly and looks outa sorts, his fins are raggy looking and flat when he eats he vomits fopod out instantly. Can anyone help him or is he doomed??:thanks:

How big is his tank? Does he have any other tankmates? Do you know the temperature of the tank? The ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels? He is definitely not necessarily doomed--fish are remarkably hardy creatures--but the more details you can give us, the better we can help you. :) Ragged fins sound like a water toxicity problem. Until I have more information, I'd recommend a 50% water change ASAP using water conditioner (Prime is best) and temperature-matching it to the tank.

the tank is 125 liters, he has 4 other gold fish and 1 pleco as tankmates and their alll fine, temp is around 27 c. ph. is 6.8, kh mg/l is 180, gh mg/l is 500, nitrate no3 mg/l is 10, nitrate no 2 mg/l is 0. those readings are using king British test kit I hope that helps I am totally a new beginner in the aquarium world .thank you

Hi :),

Orandas need a minimum of 30 gallons of water per fish. Four goldfish + a pleco in that small a space are producing an extreme amount of waste that is definitely leading to water toxicity, which is what I initially thought when I mentioned ragged fins. Here are my suggestions, based on my personal experience with goldfish:

1. Get a larger tank ASAP. The pleco really needs to find a new home. He's a warm water species and goldfish are coldwater species. Plecos have a tendency to suck on the slime coating of goldfish. Plecos can also grow to 12+ inches and produce LARGE amounts of waste. The sooner you can find him a different tank or a new home, the better for everybody.

2. If you can't get a larger tank, buy a plastic tote (200 liters or more). These are inexpensive and, if you put a good filter and airstone in, can house at least 2 of your goldfish happily for a time. Three goldfish in the tote, two goldfish in the tank, no pleco, and you'll have much, much happier fish all around.

3. Get an API water test kit. They're considered the most reliable test kit on the market.

4. Find some Prime water conditioner. This will help protect your fish from the effects of the toxic chemicals in his water.

5. Until you can do all of the above, change 50% of the tank's water immediately using whatever water conditioner you currently have on hand, wait no more than two hours and then change 50% more. Because you are so overstocked, I would then recommend a minimum of 50% water changes every single day.

I know this all sounds overwhelming. I have 2 goldfish myself which require 100 gallons of water each. I initially had no idea of their needs and was shocked to find out when they start getting sick that they couldn't live in a 10 gallon.

The thing is, fancies can grow to 8+ inches. Look at this visual: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...uire-big-tanks-visual-perspective-265871.html
Keeping them in too small a tank leads to stunting, meaning that their outsides stop growing, but their insides don't, leading to a slow, painful death. :(

Feel free to ask as many more questions as you have. Everybody here will be happy to help you. :)

thank you , the pleco is a dwarf brisltenose (I think) he is not suppose to go too big. Is he still too big?

I do have an air stone on but now realize how vital it is,
I will move out sick fish as soon as I can get a tank and am using api water conditioner and stress coat and start 50% water changes. asap
thanks for your advice this fish hobby isn't as easy as it looks :banghead:

A bristlenose is definitely way smaller than a common pleco! :) I would still really suggest you consider housing him in a separate tank because they still have a tendency to suck on their tankmates, but that doesn't have to be nearly as immediate as if it was a regular plec. :)

The hobby definitely takes some work to get started but it will eventually get easier, I promise. :) Goldfish just happen to be some of the highest maintenance fish, but nobody tells you that when you get started. They're worth it though, when they're happy and swimming with those beautiful big fins floating behind them. :)
Keep asking questions. You'll figure it out soon. I promise. :)

Reactions: jlk
Back
Top Bottom