my next goldfish tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miyavp

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So next year I'm planning to get myself a larger goldfish tank. Right now I have a crowded 37gal with 3ryukins I'm planning on an upgrade to a 75gal.
One of my ryukins is a sinker meaning he lays on the bottom. His swim bladders got damaged or deformed so he cant swim anymore.
Anybody have expiriance keeping these guys? Anything I can put into the tank to make him more comfortable? Anybody have suggestions on plants lighting or substrate?
P.s I do Bi-weekly 50% water changes and have a Aquaclear70 and a submersible 40 gal filter. I know I need a larger tank.

Wow nice upgrade!

For your sinker, can he swim even a little bit, they sell these hammock kind of thing that can hold a fish like a sinker
For my planted tank, I am using black sand with root tabs and liquid ferts

He can get a little off the bottom when its dinner time. Three or four inches. He kinds bounces off the bottom and then glides with his super long fins. These hammoc things sound like a good idea.

Yea they are pretty cool, or if it takes him too much effort, use a net to put him on the hammock so he can get a different view

Where do you buy them at? I know they make betta hammocs but he's too big for those. Do they make larger ones? Or maybe plants with giant leaves?

Oh man, I'm not sure

My uncle has a 500 gallon goldfish tank, and he has 4 hammocks, I swear, he has 12 fancy's In there, and you'll be surprised how they like them!
They kind of like take turns lying in the hammocks lol
I can ask him where he got them, or I might ask him to get me one or two and I can send them to you

Oh man, I'm not sure

My uncle has a 500 gallon goldfish tank, and he has 4 hammocks, I swear, he has 12 fancy's In there, and you'll be surprised how they like them!
They kind of like take turns lying in the hammocks lol
I can ask him where he got them, or I might ask him to get me one or two and I can send them to you

That'd be awesome :)

I would say get a filter at least 20 gallons over what you have as a tank size. I have a 55 gallon tank and 130 gallons of filtration on it.

P.s. sand may be morecomphortable for him on the bottom. I don't know for sure. Also maybe add some aquarium salts? Try boiled shelled peas to keep his swim bladder happier.

I was worried about the sand getting into his gills and scales. since he wiggles around on the bottom all day.

I was worried about the sand getting into his gills and scales. since he wiggles around on the bottom all day.

I have never heard of sand as a problem. I don't know if it could be. Hmmm.

Back
Top Bottom