Native Tank help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bullhead are awesome fish. Better make sure the other fish are bigger then his mouth. Because he will snack on everything that fits in his mouth.

Wow an Illinois resident, thanks for replying! Yes I have a fishing license and like you said it is legal to take them, it just has to count towards the daily limit. Whereabouts are you from? Sounds like the southern part, I am from the area on the Illinois around Peru and Ottawa. I used to catch minnows out of the creek I live on for the lake near by me. I catch bluegill all the time but I guess I probably have caught other sun fish. As for the bullhead, I sometimes in the summer throw out a bunch of catfish lines with rotten chicken liver as bait, caught them every night. Hopefully bullhead will be the same.

I am down near Peoria, we got alot of lakes ponds streams and round here mostly Hybrid sunnies anymore But they are awesome looking!

Wow two Illinois residents! I used to live in Joliet Plainfield area, actually I work there still now but I mostly live down in Peru. But thanks for telling me about the bullhead. So they are kind of like bull frogs? Anything that's fits they eat?

Pretty much. They will eat until they burst if you'd let them. They are awesome looking at night when they actually move around in the water column

Neat. They sound like a really cool fish. Alright well thanks to everybody for your advice. You guys answered all of my questions. I will comment back on here once I add some fish.

Ok everyone, I'm checking back in as I said I would, I currently have now two rock bass, and a crayfish.

Another update on the bass, they are eating silver sides like nothing, over night they ate a dozen, and I will get pictures soon.

That's awesome! I'd love to see some pictures of them. Rock bass are cool looking little guys.

He's not very photogenic, but he is cool. There is also now a mini yellow bullhead, about 4 inches. I have an algae growth problem now and it's going fast.

Attachments

• image-3312962232.jpg
    image-3312962232.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 108
This is my new addition he's about 2" and I just caught him earlier today, we call them goggle-eyes down here in Louisiana. But my green sunfish who is about an inch bigger seems to be chasing him. I have kept these 2 species before but never together. I am prepared to relocate the green sunfish if needed. My question is how long should I give them to calm down before it gets violent, or should I just remove the sunfish now?

image-2091213121.jpg

Research research research... Some bluegills can be just as big and aggressive as any SA/CA cichlids (them being a cousin and all).

I honestly wouldn't do more then 1-2 in a 75. Some can grow upwards of 10+". I don't recall the names off hand, but I to researched native tanks once upon a time. Obviously bass are out both lm/sm. could maybe do a "rock bass". (Not a stripper as we call them rocks in Maryland)

You also have to consider the bio load of these fish, they will be just the same as housing NW cichlids.

Feeding a diet of just minnows is not all that great of a idea either. Almost all predatory fish will take to pellets and that should be the staple of their diet. I understand you catch the minnows and they are not "pet store feeders". At the same time pellets provide the maximum amount of vitamins and nutrients needed for fish to thrive.

Also releasing a fish that potentially was captive for a few years because it outgrows a tank is poor advice. Not because I honestly think it will be crippled with no instinct to feed itself, it's just one of them taboo's in the hobby and poor practices that has led us to invasive problems / restrictions as to what a hobbyist can keep. This includes natives, not just invasive.

Anyways good luck on the tank.

Google is awesome when planning new stock/new projects.

Ahh.. Sorry should a read through, just noticed ya started stocking. The sunfish is probably trying to enforce it's dominance in the tank.

Provide many hiding places and line of sight breaks and it should stop in a day or two, or as we all know in the NW game, he might just not like anything, and no matter what you do just kill its tank mates. Only time and patients can really tell.

I have been slowly adjusting to pellets, not easy. They love earth worms and my bullhead loves any meat (beef heart).

I ended up removing the green sunfish and replacing him with a male southern longear sunfish. The warmouth seems to like him, he is always staying by him unless he's chasing minnows. I also adding a bunch of grass shrimp and the longear went crazy after them. The longear accepts worms from me but the warmouth who has been in the tank longer is still skittish towards me with the worms

Back
Top Bottom