New found appreciation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Niki86

Aquarium Advice Activist
In all the times I have kept fish or even went to buy fish I have always overlooked the"goldfish"

I have always wanted that beautiful, unusual, or cool fish......I would have never stopped for a goldfish....out of the question I thought they were too common, plain, and that anyone could keep one alive there for unimpressive.....

In my recent search/research...,the goldfish has captured me.....they are beautiful when mid or full gown specimens.....and really thinking I know no one who keeps or has ever kept one alive.....

They are very impressive, when I see all these threads of how should I stock my large tank or stock suggestions I just want to tell people goldfish!!!!

I have a delima.... I could never have enough tanks/gallons for as many goldfish I'd like to keep!!!

I know this thread is pointless as I don't have a question or suggestion but I just wanted to share my goldfish appreciation...so feel free to join in :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

just to inform peps tank for 1 gold fish 20 gallons and ten gallons per fish after that

Niki, I totally Agree!! I Never gave the Goldfish much thought until my Daughter Brought one home. We started with a 10 gallon tank until we did some research.

We ended up with a 75 gallon Aquarium to house my Daughter's Carnival "Save"! I will no longer call it a Carnival Win... Most Goldfish/Shubunkin that are Won at a Carnival are DOOMED to a Short life of living (more accurately "Dying") in their own Toilet. Goldfish Bowls are Cruel Torture for a Majestic Creature like the Goldfish!!

I feel that finding this and other informative websites SAVED that Beautiful Goldfish!! Pierce McBubbles is a Happy, Growing Shubunkin Goldfish that I hope will live for Many Years, or even Decades!! He now has a Tank Mate, Jin Xing, a Golden Dojo Loach, who has become Best Buds with Pierce. I will be adding to the aquarium, but not much. Perhaps a school of White Cloud Mountain Minnow.

I did make sure I had more than adequate filtration, with a Fluval 406 & Marineland Emperor 400. I am also committed to weekly parameter checks, water changes and gravel cleaning, along with monthly filter media changes and rinses.

Commitment is The Key Word for bringing a Goldfish into your life!! You wouldn't get a Beautiful Golden Retriever and let it grow up in a 4'x4' box! A dog takes a commitment of a High Level of Care... Do that for a Goldfish and you will be Rewarded with a Long Term Friendship!!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Have you ever looked into the shubunkin? its like a goldfish, just, it has many more colors and mottling and it's hardier and it can breed with koi or goldfish. Ive seen some in pet store that were "dwarf fantails". they are really quite wonderful.

I actually have a shubunkin, he's one of my favorite fish. Mine has a very blue background :)

I saw one that was solid blue with about 5 orange dots on it.
I certainly wouldve loved to obtain him haha.

Oh nice, I havent seem a solid blue one before

This is my guy, it's hard to see the blue in him and it's hard to get. A pic bc he's so fastImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411572851.883992.jpg

He's certainly a good looking fish.
Correct me if im wrong, arent shubunkins a hybridized type of golfish/koi? or am i thinking of something else?

No I think they are just considered a "breed" of goldfish...if that's what they are called. From the carp?

Maybe you are correct though...maybe someone will pop in and correct is or verify :)

Oh and I just seen your pic! He's a beauty as well!!! I really like the orange!!!!

No I think they are just considered a "breed" of goldfish...if that's what they are called. From the carp?

Maybe you are correct though...maybe someone will pop in and correct is or verify :)

That's probably what it is.

He's certainly a good looking fish.
Correct me if im wrong, arent shubunkins a hybridized type of golfish/koi? or am i thinking of something else?

I believe so... I am not an expert, but from what I understand, the Shubunkin is a Comet Goldfish with the Calico Patterns... Also known as "The Poor Man's Koi". I am not sure if they are part Koi or not though...:confused:

I believe so... I am not an expert, but from what I understand, the Shubunkin is a Comet Goldfish with the Calico Patterns... Also known as "The Poor Man's Koi". I am not sure if they are part Koi or not though...:confused:

well, they are hybrids, i know that much.

well, they are hybrids, i know that much.

Shubunkins are NOT hybrids. There are not any 'hybrids' of goldfish as they are ALL the same species, cassius auratus. There are simply different breeds of the same species. Shubunkins are also not koi nor are they crossed with koi. They simply are a variety of goldfish that man has created from selective breeding.

An easy comparison is to use the domestic dog. All dogs are canis lupus familiaris yet there are a zillion breeds of dogs in every size, color and shape. Goldfish are the same. :)

I was the same way until I rescued some goldies from a coworker! I love my goldies! I had to downsize my tanks due to illness and not being able to take care of three, and now all I have are gold fish and I love it.

Here is my tank
Ohkeg2q.jpg

The heater is temporary as I have a pleco in with them currently. He is the last fish from when I dismantled my tropical tanks. No one wanted him so he had to go in with Gus and Fred.

I just love goldfish and i plan to get a 75gallon, currently have a 42 gallon fully stocked with one adult black moor and a baby black moor and calico veiltail. I really want to have 4 but have to wait till i upgrade. They have soo much personality.My big black moor is like a dog he always comes to the surface if i go anywhere near the tank and i can pat him on the head like his a dog!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom