overwintering black moor + lionhed goldfish question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmk2307

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there,

I live just East of St. louis (plant zone 5-6). I have both a large black moor (~5" mouth to anus) and a large lionhead goldfish (also ~5" mouth to anus). Last spring-fall these fish lived in our pond (a 250 gallon pond which is the bottom pond of a ~500gallon system). There are some "comet" goldfish and some juvenile koi living in this pond now. Last winter these two goldfish fish lived indoors in a 30 gallon tank. This spring I put the fish back out into the pond. They have been growing rapidly and wouldn't be happy in a 30 gallon tank anymore. Would these fish be OK in this pond during the winter? We have a "floating de-icer" and keep a small pump on an upisde-down flower pumping water upwards pot stirring the water near it.

Thank you,
Kevin

Hey Roger,

Thanks. I can't believe I forgot to say how deep the pond is... It is only 3 feet deep. We did decide to move the fish indoors because of the shallowness of the pond.

Thank you,
Kevin

That is safest :D , I move my koi & goldfish indoors every winter, they live at the bottom of the basement stairs in a largish livestock watering tank I got from the local farm co-op. It is about a 150 gals rubbermaid tank. I also move the pond filter & pump indoors with the fish. They have overwintered many years with no problems.

The plants that stay outdoors seem to do well, but the water hyacinth I tried to bring indoors does not, I guess 80 watts of light is not enough for them. :(

Back
Top Bottom