Plant suggestions for a beginner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em1981ma

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi

I have an established subtropical tank.

119gallons

3male blackmoors
2female fantails
1female Ryukin

4wcm
5danios
2variatus platys.

I do 50-60%weekly water changes

I would like to give them some natural plants that they could nibble on and which will make my tank a little more natural for them. I would still keep my fake coral decorations along side live plants.

I have never used live plants
Could I have some suggestions for someone new to live plants and ones which would be easy to maintain.

Also suggest plants which are suitable for my varied stock

Thanks

Emma

we're gona need a bigger tank (boat).. JAWS ~~~∆~~\o/~~

Anubias and Java fern can both handle lower temps, don't need to be in substrate and are usually not appealing to goldfish, plus they can handle rougher treatment than a lot of stem plants

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Did you mean to say not appealing to goldfish? Or was that an error. I'd rather plants that goldfish would like

we're gona need a bigger tank (boat).. JAWS ~~~∆~~\o/~~

Anubias, java ferns and swords are fairly easy plants for a natural setting and hiding places. For plants that fancies like, try hornwort, eldoea and wisteria. If you have enough if these, their growth rate may be sufficient to withstand regular snacking. Floating plants such as water lettuce is super easy, too.

I have kept all of these (plus quite few others) with my fancies without an issue but the caveat being they are well trained to eat their veggies. I have not found temperature to be an issue but your lighting is crucial to sustain plant life. Feel free to ask any questions! :)

I was giving you a list of low light plants that goldfish wouldn't want to eat.

Back
Top Bottom