Plants with goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trioracles

Aquarium Advice Activist
What live plants can go with goldfish? Ppl say goldfish would eat them, but I've seen many ponds and tanks that have live plants in them and they seem fine. Would dwarf lily be ok?

Teach your fish to eat their veggies daily and most plants should not be a problem. Its easier to start with tougher plants such as anubias or swords then work on adding more delicate ones. Mosses, hornwort and anacharis rarely survive so I would consider other options than these. Also make sure the plants you chose can tolerate cooler waters than tropical temps as not all are suitable. Please ask if you have questions! :)

Each goldfish will pick what plants you can ultimately keep. They will also redecorate for you. :)
There's a bunch of trial and error with a planted goldfish tank.
I feed peas a few times a week to help cut down on the nibbling of plants.
Here are the plants that I've had experience with my shubunkin goldfish:
*Anacharis - Eaten and constantly pulled out of the ground
*Anubias (Nana and Hastifolia) - Left alone
*Amazon Swords - Left alone
*Moneywort - Nibbled and constantly pulled out
*Fox Tail - Pulled out
*Red Crypt Wendtii - Left alone
*Water Wisteria - Nibbles on occasion but it grows so quickly that it doesn't hurt it.
*Floating Water Sprite - Constantly nibbles but it grows so quickly that I have to throw out handfuls of it. Since adding this in he leaves other plants alone.
*Green and Red Cabomba - Pulled out
*Java Fern - Left alone when attached to driftwood.
I think I'm forgetting one, but that's all I can remember right now.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My fancy goldfish absolutely love Hair Grass. When I first add it to the tank, they go crazy for the heads, and once eating all of those, they generally leave the plant alone other than to swim through it, which they enjoy doing (pic attached).

Hair Grass is a real survivor. I don't have lights for my tank (due to it being so hot down here), and haven't yet worked out how to fertilise plants.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390739717.798747.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom