Pond Panic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitbasher

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Came home for lunch because I forgot something I needed for my staff meeting today, and looked out at my small pond and my wife had accidentally left the hose filling the pond. The pond on my patio is a 110 gallon stock tank with a fountain for areation and a DIY filter in the bottom of tank. When I looked out the pond was over flowing and the comets were at the surface gasping for air. The fish were very lethargic. The water itself felt really cold, but its been very hot the last several days, in the upper 90's since saturday. Not sure of how much water had been displaced I shut the hose off, and gave the pond a big dose of Prime to offset the chlorine in the water that was added. I also added an airstone and an extra air pump I had on hand. When I got home tonight the fish looked like they were back to normal. I will do some water tests later tonight, when it cools down to see how things look from a water quality standpoint. I normally only top the pond off when evaporation and dashunds have lower the water level by about an inch or two.
While the comets are not very expensive fish, I am attached to them. I have had them for going on three or more years. They have survived at least 2 winters in the patio pond.

I know just how you feel. I have beautiful gold,red,and white/red commons now 8 inches I've had for 4 years now. You do get attached and feel accomplished to grow them large and keep them healthy year after year. Glad you could save yours from disaster.

i am VERY attached to my pond fish, my favorite one that i have had for three years now had a very agressive fungus and even with treatment it did not go away. I was sure that she would not survive another few days(that was about a week ago) I used desafin and now my fish is back to normal although she has very frayed fins. She had the fungaus all over her body along with fin rot. I was so worried. I couldent imagine how much of a panic you were in when you came home to discover that! I am very gald your fish are okay.

All has turned out well. With the heat, I have left the air stone running in the pond. The fish seem to just fine.

Back
Top Bottom