Premium (Preferably Flake-Based) Food Suggestions for Goldfish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
UPDATE:

Okay, so yesterday we stopped in our local Petsmart and bought THIS:

And finally picked this piece of decor up to continue experimenting with the "Asian/Zen" theme for the goldie tank:

I'll get into the Bonsai ornament in another thread and at another time, but for right now I'd like to discuss the Omega One flakes...

It's the weirdest thing -- and I am beginning to question the overall health of my fancies at this point: I would have thought that a new food, with the attractive scent (to them) of seafood, would have enticed my four fancies to the point they would go into a bit of a feeding frenzy when the flakes were introduced...instead, they did nearly the same thing when fed the Tetra sinking pellets and crisps...that is, they "gnawed" at the Omega One food but got a bit "lethargic" as they swallowed the flakes, eventually just "hovering" over the gravel in the left rear corner of the tank where there is no decor as of yet as they attempted to digest them...

If that wasn't weird enough, once all the flakes were seemingly consumed, they THEN went into like a post-feeding frenzy, where they were swimming around vigorously, going to the surface as if wanting or eating more and picking at decor/gravel...does this make any sense? Why do they seem to have a "better" time AFTER food is consumed and digested? Is it normal for them to bite pieces of flake food, or other food for that matter, and react in a "lethargic" way, in which as they consume the food they hover and kind of stay in place towards the bottom of the tank? Is this because of the makeup of their bodies?

I think part of the reason for their less than enthusiastic response at first to the flakes comes simply from it being something new. They are used to their old food. It can be a little hard getting fish to try something new. Think of them like spoiled children, lol. Wary to try something they may not immediately recognize as something good to eat. Think about when you were a kid and someone presented you with something you had never had before. And of course, they have to take some time to digest. The better food is "richer" in a way, as it has better ingredients and more nutrients. And it is something new for their digestive systems, and due to the various body mutations of fancies their digestive systems can be a big sensitive. But the post feeding burst of energy should be good evidence that the food is good, and it looks like they already want more.

I think part of the reason for their less than enthusiastic response at first to the flakes comes simply from it being something new. They are used to their old food. It can be a little hard getting fish to try something new. Think of them like spoiled children, lol. Wary to try something they may not immediately recognize as something good to eat. Think about when you were a kid and someone presented you with something you had never had before. And of course, they have to take some time to digest. The better food is "richer" in a way, as it has better ingredients and more nutrients. And it is something new for their digestive systems, and due to the various body mutations of fancies their digestive systems can be a big sensitive. But the post feeding burst of energy should be good evidence that the food is good, and it looks like they already want more.

Thank you for this bit of security, Alyxx, as always my friend...(y)

I shall keep you and this thread updated with progress the next time I feed the Omega One...

Back
Top Bottom