Selling my koi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

V p1839

Aquarium Advice Regular
This is no means me selling my koi on here.

I have had my koi for almost 2 years now. I was new and naive thinking I could keep him in a tank. I'm not sure if its female or male. He's about 13 inches long and will be measuring soon. He's orange with black spots.

How do I find out the specific breed?

How can I find out male or female?

How much should I list him for when I begin to sell.

Should I post a pic to help?

Maybe 14$? I know a good friend that sells them a inch a dollar.

Yes its a 12g. I didn't understand much when I got him. Hence why I want to get rid of em.

I hate to tell you but it's too small for your gold fish too. Glad you're rehoming. Good luck!

Yeah I know that too. I'm working on one fish at a time. If you know of anyone near Chicago I would be greatful

Where did you get the fish from? I am asking because that might help you out to be able to figure out exactly what it is for your sale listing. I may be wrong about this, but form what I know there are a lot of mutt koi that aren't really worth anything. A lot of the ones you find in a common pet stores are just random koi that were not specifically bred to be anything except pretty pond fish. If you weren't given any info about what sort of koi he was when you bought him, he is likely just a random koi IMO.
You can try the lfs around you to see if you can get some money or else try craiglist.

http://www.koi.com/ has an index of breeds you can look at.

Thanks. I already posted him on craigslist. He was from petsmart I believe. My girlfriend got both of them for me so she is completely against me getting rid of them. I just feel bad. They are starting to grow wide so I know they are too big.

Yeah, he is absolutely too big for that tank.
Since he came from PetSmart, I am guessing he is just a generic koi bred to be pretty. You probably won't be able to get too much money for him and its honestly likely that you will just have to give him away. He needs a new home asap from the looks of it.

I wouldn't even try selling him. Try to just give him away cuz u will get rid of him sooner that way. I think their fins start to grow out of proportion with their body if they r in a tank too small for them, like angelfish. I'm not sure though

Well I just wanted to let you all know that I game my koi away to a resturant that has a pond in its lobby. He looks like he was doing well. We aclimated him to the water and when I left he was swimming around meeting his new friends.

V p1839 said:
Well I just wanted to let you all know that I game my koi away to a resturant that has a pond in its lobby. He looks like he was doing well. We aclimated him to the water and when I left he was swimming around meeting his new friends.

Great job!!! He is probably one happy fish!

Back
Top Bottom