Summer Native Tank Build- Help Appreciated.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You should use the brown gravel that you have, and you could get some rainbow darters

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

If your gonna do darters, start with rainbows, as they are hardier that most other darters. And you could train them to take flakes

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Small species I have taken interest in that are Native to Tennessee.

Banded Sculpins

Brook Sticklebacks

Brook silversides - considered invasive, probably would have hardly any trouble getting some.

Mosquitofish - common but cool

Crayfish -of course always loved them

Mystery snails -are apparently native here. Apple snails as well.

Many species of carp and snakeheads are illegal here.

Trying to find info on darters and comparability.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Keep in mind that pairing normal crayfish with any type of fish typically results in disaster; either the crayfish gets eaten or the crayfish decimates the fish population. In your case I would say it would likely be the later. IME normal crayfish are best left to a dedicated crayfish tank.

Keep in mind that pairing normal crayfish with any type of fish typically results in disaster; either the crayfish gets eaten or the crayfish decimates the fish population. In your case I would say it would likely be the later. IME normal crayfish are best left to a dedicated crayfish tank.

Good to know. Definitely would want my work to go down the drain.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I agree on starting with the rainbows. Although I believe darters need highly oxygenated water.

Fishobsessed7

If your gonna go with darters, I would recommend adding a power head to the tank, so there is plenty of oxygen dissolved into the water. As they live in flowing streams and fast flowing creeks. And most of them only accept live food, but you could train them to accept flakes or pellets if you want

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If your gonna go with darters, I would recommend adding a power head to the tank, so there is plenty of oxygen dissolved into the water. As they live in flowing streams and fast flowing creeks. And most of them only accept live food, but you could train them to accept flakes or pellets if you want

Thanks. I don't think power heads are too much on Amazon I'll have to look... That's what I planned on was the conversion to flakes and pellets because live food can add up.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

If you have a fishing license you could catch some rainbows in the local creek if you want darters, but if they aren't locally found where you at located, I'd suggest buying them from Jonah's aquarium, and have them shipped over

Some mosquitofish and juvenile pumpkinseed would be cool, don't know if you have them where you live though.

Nils

Thanks. I don't think power heads are too much on Amazon I'll have to look... That's what I planned on was the conversion to flakes and pellets because live food can add up.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

You are absolutely right, live food does add up after awhile, but learning to culture and grow your own will not only increase the robustness and health of your fish, but also open up lots of new possibilities in the fishkeeping world, especially with the natives.

I'm kind of on a budget saving for a new car and the more and more i research the more I realize that if I did darters it's gonna be expensive. Urgh.......

I would like to do a bluegill but realize that it may eventually get too big.

I don't want to really change the theme of the tank altogether.

Darters from what I find are running anywhere from $10-$15 each... That's a bit much considering their size.

If all else fails, could I do a single JD in a 40? I would keep him alone and maybe some snails just to add some more color to the tank.

Carib Sea black moon sand is on order, cheap and had really impressive reviews.

Looking at a Fluval C4 filter. I'll move my Penguin 350B from my 75 over to get an instant cycle and leave it for a few weeks to make sure the C4 has built up BB.

Ehiem Jäger 200watt heater on the way.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

I would rather not veer from the native side but price is a bit high for this build. My 75g has drained me. Also with technical school coming up in the fall.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom