Summer Native Tank Build- Help Appreciated.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ImACoolguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys and gals! I just picked up a lovely 40 breeder in good condition from a coworker for FREE. It's only the tank but hey.. Free is free. Anyways, living on a lake I was hoping to try some native fish for a change since all mine are tropicals. I of course will not have these fish for a while 1. Because my lake is down(local water management via TVA) so no water to catch them right now. 2. Saving up some money right now.

Speaking of saving money... In partnership with my fathers help and help from you guys I want to do my first DIY stand. Obviously nothing be complex being only a 40B, but special because I made it. I will post in DIY if I need to.

I would like to try and keep bluegill. Probably only 1 or 2 because of their size. They would be wild but I would give them a long acclimation period to ensure they are okay. I have heard they will eat flakes/pellets but not sure what else besides some worms.

Any comments/ suggestions for this build would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe the only tank my parents will really like besides my dojo loach.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I used to have a stream and a pond by my house and I caught baby bluegill and mosquito fish and attempted to catch baby gar (I think). The bluegill had tons of personality and were pigs. There were a few mishaps along the way and some of the mosquito fish went to sleep on the floor. I finally had enough when the two biggest (5"-6") killed a baby bluegill (1") the third biggest bluegill (4 1/2") a red glofish lasted about 5 minutes and a green glofish who didn't get to touch the water before he was eaten.

The picture will not post so basically its a very empty tank with a little gravel and three rocks forming a cave with two goldfish, a penguin tetra, some mollies, and a few tetras, plus two 4" bluegill.

oh i forgot they set up territories with hiding places and will breed. Some fish that they will get along with are golden shiners, welaka minnow, or bluenose shiners.

Bluegill are cold water fish and are an equivalent of African cichlids as far as territory issues. Tetras are tropical warm water peaceful fish. Mixing those is just asking for trouble.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

You could do a darter tank, they are colorful, and max out at 3-5 inches

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

You could do a darter tank, they are colorful, and max out at 3-5 inches

They look pretty :) 2 problems is finding some to keep and whether it's even legal.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

The bluegill seemed fine with the tetras just not things that looked normal or brightly coloured. We ended up throwing them into a creek off a bridge after we moved.

Most are legal to own, try Jonahs aquarium, he sells them, just google him

As for set-up I always try to make something that replicates the natural habitat for species tanks.

Yeah especially with wild fish. I've heard some of them don't take kiddy to plants, especially bluegill. I'm not a fan of fake plants anymore I'm slowly getting rid of them in my tanks.

Need driftwood/rock work ideas.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I will try to post a picture. I have found mountain rocks work great. I use some in the cichlid tank and they range in color from yellow to brown.

I washed mine very well with warm water and scrubbed each rock until the dirt was gone and I didn't chose any with "veins" or deposits in it.

Back
Top Bottom