Tropicals in pools this summer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I want to open at least 4 ponds. I've been collecting fish to breed this summer. My strongest contenders are pseudomugil iriani, blonde endlers, tiger endlers, Vietnamese white clouds, gold form least killie, and ojo caliente wild type swordtails. I am also considering several lines of Tanaka's guppies, corys, apistos and ancistrus.

The livebearers will go out first when outdoor water temps average 60°. My fish room is in a cold basement so I know which fish can survive colder water. Followed by the rest once the water temps average 68°. Apistos would be last with temps above 74°.

Has anyone has success with invertebrates in ponds?

I was considering kribs as I am sure 2 pairs would fill an 8' x 8' pool with fry by the end of summer.

I put my least killies, and crayfish outside followed by endlers. If I do barbs I'll be shooting at mid to late May so fry get large enough to move by July. The it will be gourami time.

I want to open at least 4 ponds. I've been collecting fish to breed this summer. My strongest contenders are pseudomugil iriani, blonde endlers, tiger endlers, Vietnamese white clouds, gold form least killie, and ojo caliente wild type swordtails. I am also considering several lines of Tanaka's guppies, corys, apistos and ancistrus.

The livebearers will go out first when outdoor water temps average 60°. My fish room is in a cold basement so I know which fish can survive colder water. Followed by the rest once the water temps average 68°. Apistos would be last with temps above 74°.

Has anyone has success with invertebrates in ponds?

The white clouds, least killi, would be the very first fish I would put out. Then maybe the swords and the endlers, then the cories, guppies, and ancistrus. And lastly, the apistos.

I would wait till the temps get to at least 70 before adding fish though.

Fishobsessed7

I was considering Bolivian Rams and kribs but I think I'll wait till next year.

Fishobsessed7

I'm also considering badis badis and elasomma. I'm slowly improving my tanks as plants grow out. Last night I was going to pull out my pleco tube and glue some more moss on it to help camouflage it. When I was pouring the water out I saw a badis badis slide out with eggs and wrigglers. I figure if I can get them to spawn without trying, they might be a good candidate for a pool this summer. I also have a friend in Florida who has caught some elasomma for me.

I would put crayfish out, but they became illegal as of January 1. It doesn't help my brother-in-law is a police officer and my father-in-law is a former police chief.

Pennsylvania. They are worried that some could be released into the wild and become invasive. A few years ago they outlawed other exotic pets like sugar gliders, ferrets and hedgehogs. I know Virginia is considering the same law. I attended a local fish club auction this past November and it seemed like everyone was trying to get rid of their crayfish. Honestly, I do have a few shufeldti. I just don't talk about them.

Yes, it does. Its sad when a law is passed to keep the 0.0…01% of the population from introducing an exotic pet into the wild. I'm going to play devils advocate for a second and say that many of our wildlife/pet laws go against natural selection and evolutionary theory. If an introduced species is stronger, shouldn't we allow the weaker species to be replaced by the stronger one? Or better yet, shouldn't we allow the more visually appealing species to take over? It seems our government and educational system teach one thing, but don't let what is taught to play out in the real world.

I have been looking at Cherax Crayfish and many states ban them. True Apple Snails are banned all over as well. Not one of these animals can survive a Missouri winter so they could only cause damage one season. I really don't think somebody is going to dump 10,000 of these guys in a pond, just not going to happen.

Was reading the posts and I have been thinking about kribs. two pairs in a 6' x 6' pool should fill it up with fish by the end of the summer.

On this forum and others. I aquabid some but prefer not to. I'm looking for a wholesaler and if not I'll move them in blocks on aqabid

Hey this is on topic of the thread but a little different.
Would it work if I put a feeder comet goldfish or two in a plastic kiddy pool? I would put in some horn wart and bog plants from a slough nearby, a little bit of soil would be added too. it would be positioned under a downspout from my house so it would have fresh water frequently. What do you people think about this simple setup.

Sent via Messenger of Gondor

Where are you in Canada? I have lived in Moose Jaw and Sioux Lookout. I don't think that set up will work if your up in the shield. Too many predators between crows, eagles, fox, bobcat, lynx, and bears.

Were you wanting to grow out the goldfish or have them reproduce?

I live quite near Saskatoon. I plan to just have it for the summer then re-home the fish. In all those animals you mention crows would be the only one to be a problem. But the crows know what happens when I see them around... .22

Sent via Messenger of Gondor

Some of my former students and friends are in Saskatoon. I worked at a camp south of the city one summer. I would live there again if given the opportunity.

I think you are right about the crows. You would need to put some netting over pool to keep varmints off. You have more natural predators up there than I do over here in Pennsylvania. When I lived in Sioux lookout it was common to see prints from all sorts of animals on my property. I got worried when I found wolf tracks 6in wide by my dogs pen. Being an American it was more difficult for me to legally get a firearm.

Back
Top Bottom