Urgent 2 of 4 dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually the filtration isn't bad imo. Your algae is probably from the light. I just think the tub isn't cycled.

Actually the filtration isn't bad imo. Your algae is probably from the light. I just think the tub isn't cycled.

So the tub cycled for 2 weeks with just filtration and plants before koi and has been running for several months with koi. I am a bit new to pin d a but shouldnt that have been enough time to xycle properly. I did start witha pond starter which contained rhe bacteria start up before the first 2 week cycle

Typically a cycle can take between 4-8 weeks. The fact you have nitrites and I'd bet you have ammonia tells me you don't have the beneficial bacteria growth you need to keep up with the fish you have. With that said, it's not a huge deal, you just have to do more water changes.

2 probable problems. Water quality and some critter found the snack bar.

You have a decent idea to save the last 2 fish.

Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

The article link in my signature would be a great redo beginning.

Hope these ideas help.

After reading these i think i see my issue, when i do maintence/filter replacements i am doing it incorrectly which i think is killing off large/all of my good bacteria and causing the water issues.

When i have been doing weekly maintenance i have been rinsing out filter media, to wash off algae, scum etc with tap water and placing back in the system.

(i do this same thing with my 10 gallon aquarium with goldfish) water levels came back to almost identical to the pond only slightly softer hardiness.

From what i am reading the test strips also are not the best thing to be using in the first place. is the API freshwater MK, or the API pond MK the better solution?

If there's any chlorine or chloramines in your tap it will kill your BB. Light Rinsing of the filters with dechlorinated water is fine. You will lose a little BB but it won't throw your pond or tank out of cycle.

Being you have tanks as well as your modified pond I would get the API freshwater master test kit.

I'm with Autumn..... pull the fish in the pond and start your cycling over again then add the fish. Always use a dechlorinator like Seachem Prime. I also think you could do a fish in cycle if you are up to very frequent water changes.

Keep us updated.

If there's any chlorine or chloramines in your tap it will kill your BB. Light Rinsing of the filters with dechlorinated water is fine. You will lose a little BB but it won't throw your pond or tank out of cycle.

Being you have tanks as well as your modified pond I would get the API freshwater master test kit.

I'm with Autumn..... pull the fish in the pond and start your cycling over again then add the fish. Always use a dechlorinator like Seachem Prime. I also think you could do a fish in cycle if you are up to very frequent water changes.

Keep us updated.

Would you guys recommend that i soak the new filter for the temporary aquarium in the pond, or skip that step since the pond is so out of whack?

If you can add some media from the pond, if it possible there are some BB there. To the filter area of your inside filter it could in theory help it along. The water itself doesn't really have the BB. But acclimating the fish with some pond water and some regular new and treated water can help their transition.

Just end up with the bucket being all new water. Transfer fish only after that into new tank. Do not add water from the pond if there was a bunch of algae. Less algae cells in the new tank the better.

If you can add some media from the pond, if it possible there are some BB there. To the filter area of your inside filter it could in theory help it along. The water itself doesn't really have the BB. But acclimating the fish with some pond water and some regular new and treated water can help their transition.

Just end up with the bucket being all new water. Transfer fish only after that into new tank. Do not add water from the pond if there was a bunch of algae. Less algae cells in the new tank the better.

Ok great, i have a Marineland Penguin 200b for that aquarium, since it has 2 slots for filters im pretty certain i can put either some ceramic or bio balls from pond into it also

Update.

Ok so i finished putting together temporary housing. I was able to get both bio balls and some ceramic tranplanted from the pond to help boost cycling. In addition I have added tetra easy safe and easy balance to ensure good safe water before cycling. Since thia is only temporary and I worry for safety in the pond i plan to cycle for 24 hours before moving fish in then do proper full cycle on pond

Attachments

• 20181105_195058.jpg
    20181105_195058.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 20181105_195106.jpg
    20181105_195106.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 57
It may take longer than 24 hours to cycle. Just make sure you are doing water changes at least every other day. Once you get your API master kit you can narrow down the water change schedule more precisely. But I think doing 50% water changes every other day is the way to go in the meantime.

Yeah I know it probably will but its a bit easier to do water changes on the aquarium vs the pond. I am planning on revamping filtration. System on the pond in the spring. I'll do a prefilter in line pump and in line uv before the main waterfall .

As long as you keep up on the checking parameters, it is wild how quickly parameters pop from the safe zone to the unsafe level. I have checked in the AM fine level and then got home from work and had numbers out of whack.

So i saw a spike in the nitrate lvls last night after i started cycling the temporary housing system. I assume its due to pulling some of the ceramic and bioballs from the pond. This morning the levels are almost 0 so here is hoping the cycling has started.

Ok i have an update wanted to give it a week before posting again.

Koi seem fine however they have started flashing or in my wifes terms they are doing courtship behavior.

Brings me to mew thing. Aquarium is starting to get nitrates again so continuing that battle

Getting an API master kit tomorrow so ill be able to do better water checks than the tetra 6 in 1 strips

New. In addition if i touch the water my arm starts itching like crazy and turning red. So i think something is wrong.

Also I found several of the items attached not sure if its dietary related or if they could actually be teying to breed.

Attachments

• 20181115_191336.jpg
    20181115_191336.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 20181115_191325.jpg
    20181115_191325.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 20181115_191313.jpg
    20181115_191313.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 39
What do the creatures in the container look like? I can't really make it out in the pic.

Dragonfly nymph, you can check that out with an image search.

Back
Top Bottom