Using a pool as an aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KKAY27

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was wondering how you set up a pool to acomadate say african cichlids or any aquarium fish that can live in an outdoor pool! I have a pretty big pool outside! It's an aboveground metal kind it's say almost 5 ft deep not sure how many gallons! We don't swim in it anymore and I have a 60g african cichlid tank with maybe 4 cichlids and I want to breed more! I was wondering what all equipment I need to set this up? Is it possible for my location I live in northeast Mississippi! What seasons can they live in the pool? I would love some suggestions advice anything!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well you would need a heater during the cooler days. I'm not sure how winter is for you there but as long as you can keep the tank at about 74 minimum you'll be fine temp wise. As for any outdoor pond owner you have to think about predators like Hawks, owls, Racoons, cats, ect. If possible cover it at night with some sort of netting. Or even in the day time. You would need a big pond filter probably a DIY. Could you measure the perimeter?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would say a whole boat load of rocks and a closed loop water pump system to get good flow underneath and around them. Pile them up in a nice shape in the center to allow for room on the edges for them to swim. You could even make a structure that would rise out of the pool and act like a waterfall.

This is an example of a closed loop system.

I would say a whole boat load of rocks and a closed loop water pump system to get good flow underneath and around them. Pile them up in a nice shape in the center to allow for room on the edges for them to swim. You could even make a structure that would rise out of the pool and act like a waterfall.

This is an example of a closed loop system.

Great idea! I like the out of the water structure idea. Seems like it would look nice.

Biggest downfall will likely be the heater. Electric would be awfully expensive.

Running a heat pump with a coil in the water+ power heads could be an option, but I'm not sure what that would cost since you probably can't diy that. It'd be efficient, but it'd be the equivalent of running the AC on a second home. Also, you would still need a back up system if you get a cold snap.

A temporary greenhouse over the pool is another option for the cold months to ensure it stays warm for them, but again an in water heating system would likely still be necessary to ensure the temp stays up high enough.

What are your winters like?

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I was wondering how you set up a pool to acomadate say african cichlids or any aquarium fish that can live in an outdoor pool! I have a pretty big pool outside! It's an aboveground metal kind it's say almost 5 ft deep not sure how many gallons! We don't swim in it anymore and I have a 60g african cichlid tank with maybe 4 cichlids and I want to breed more! I was wondering what all equipment I need to set this up? Is it possible for my location I live in northeast Mississippi! What seasons can they live in the pool? I would love some suggestions advice anything!!

Any progress on the pool/tank?

I haven't started on my pool tank yet! I'm thinking I might start on it next spring! I am currently starting a saltwater tank so I am pretty busy! But thanks for wondering about it:)

Back
Top Bottom