What brand of aquarium salt are best for goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have always used API Aquarium salt

salt helps with the overall health of the fish , it also helps ward off any parasites
also helps prevent gill disease
it can be used with most tropical fish with great results
warning : you want to avoid salt if you keep snails or any other inverts

salt helps with the overall health of the fish , it also helps ward off any parasites

Thanks! I plan to add salt after I do Aqua Prazi treatment

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ehh, I think aquarium salt is sort of neutral. It helps fish health in some ways but makes them more susceptible in other ways. But again, it's neutral at worst, so I won't argue about it. I will say this:

62607997.jpg

Lol - love that!!

A fence sitter here on salt. I know salt has been studied for use in fish transport eg channel catfish with good results suggesting use.

I assumed treatment of 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons or say 5ml per 20 litres.

That gave me 0.025% salt level??

I've tried tasting a tablespoon in 5 gallons (think it was) and couldn't. So I've wondered for some time if low level salt dosing makes any difference if you do or not.

Then if there is an infection, is low level salt going to cure? Well not convinced.

However, I could see for soft water that perhaps it helps there.

http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Salt

I'm using salt because Solid Gold recommended it xD

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

There's no need to use salt unless your fish has something like ich,it parts undue stress on the fish.
That's my opinion anyway :)

20 gallon fancy goldfish tank
150 gallon koi tank
60 gallon cichlid tank
2 gallon neon tetra tank
50 gallon yellow belly slider tank
29 gallon puffer tank
20 gallon community tank

API Brand salt is the most common.

As to the argument of whether to use salt or not:

People will argue this until they are blue in the face.

My take on it is this though - All the purported benefits of salt, whether they are true or false all mimic the benefits of having clean water with low levels of nitrates.

I maintain that keeping a tank as chemical free as possible while keeping the water clean is the secret to being successful in the hobby and as such, I don't use salt in my tanks.

Never used salt.

I've kept goldfish for 14 years without any health issues or a death.

Recently rehomed to moved on to a new aquarium.

I always thought salt was used to cheat on PWC's and nitrate toxicity. I just kept up with the care.

Good luck,
Kevin

I'm another that never uses salt I see no need for it as a regular additive & for some fish it can be an irritant

I don't use salt. Never had any problems, plus a lot of people said that it can harm cories

Sent via echolocation

Just in passing as I find salt a great mystery. Here salt has I assumed been used for a long period of time and I assume no long term issues. I'm guessing salt would eventually cause problems for kidneys(?) and gills(?) such that the fish fades away with a shorter life span?? Seems pretty hard to pick.

But people who do salt don't seem to report these troubles?? So it seems to me that either their water is a special case where salt helps the fish, salt really does help or the level of salt added just makes no difference. I'll peg myself to the last possibility but still open here. I've yet to be convinced that low level salt dosing will really cause an issue. I've not done it long term though so this is just in the interests of discussion.

Back
Top Bottom