African Dwarf Frog Help Wanted!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PS For now, I would just go with a bare aquarium floor.

I think you're suggestion of removing the stones is a god one. It's been suggested to me several times and I just need to do it. At what point should I add gravel to the bottom? I have a few pieces of bamboo I'd like to keep in the tank. Also, I have filters that you have to buy when sorry. Can I still wash my filter? Thanks again!

All you do for the filter is rinse the gunk off the sponge/pad/cartridge with old tank water and then put it back in the filter. You really should get some sort of tubing or gravel vac instead of a turkey baster, they sell them for small tanks too.

If you follow the advice on how to take the rocks out you can add sand of gravel right away, just make sure you rinse it out thoroughly before adding it to the tank.

I agree with Toad. Also rinse the bamboo as well lest it be harboring strings or fuzz. Since your budget is limited, prioritize your purchases. I'd suggest the gravel vac before the gravel because you still need to clear the floor of the tank and do water changes.

Thanks guys! I'll keep you posted. Hopeful with all this great advice I can get my tank to where it needs to be!

And the river stones are gone and the water is clear. I rinsed the filter cartridge and did about. 50% water change. I'm already loving the clear bottom. Do I have to put gravel in?IMG_3649.jpg

You don't have to but I find most animals enjoy some kind of substrate. I'd use sand, you don't have to use more than just what is needed to cover the bottom, but if you want plants (even fake ones) you'll need enough to cover roots. When I had my frogs they loved to hang all over the plants and decor

I am super excited!! I just saw my frog eat a bloodworm!! Sounds silly but he hadn't been eating much.

In terms of substrate, are you saying I'd need some to cover the bamboo roots? He likes to hide in them, but I'd hate for them to die.

What are my substrate options and what are the pros and cons of them. I am already loving the ease of cleaning with nothing and it isn't hard to see my frog, but you're the pro so I'll stick to what you recommend. Removing the stones was a pain, but definitely worth it! Thank you! Thank you!!

That's awesome you've him eating!

For substrate I'm a big fan of sand, with a smaller tank you wouldn't need a lot. Frogs can also swallow smaller gravel so I've heard. For cleaning it's not much different than bare bottom, your just vacuuming the top of the sand. You can buy cheap pool filter sand or even play sand, or usually pet stores carry more expensive bags of it. No matter what kind you get, make sure you rinse it really, really well lol. You can google how very easily.

I saw you mentioned a filter, but I wasn't sure what kind it is?

My frog Gus died :( Thanks for helping me keep him alive so long.

A lot harder than I expected. I had finally stop worry he would pass. Idk. He provided a lot of smiles and entertainment. Not sure what to do next. Feels wrong starting over. I am def a bit dramatic it feels.

Thanks for the support and condolences :)

Have you decided to give some new frogs a home with you?

late reply, frog will still climb the corner of the tank even with low water, feed him live tubiflex worms, once he's eating add small peletts with the worms. get aquarium acrylic tank top clamps and cut a plexy glass top don't buy cheap thin plexy waste of money.

So sorry to hear that... you took really good care of him and I'm glad he got to spend time with you.

Back
Top Bottom