African Dwarf Frog Help Wanted!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CRexy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Long story short, after several changes and upgrades. My low budget ATF with bamboo has turned into a 5.5 gallon tank with a 5-10 gallon filter, air bubbler and a teacup on its side surrounded by small river stones.

The filter seems too strong for my small ADF, so I put the intake in a mug in the tank to try and lessen the draw/current, but that doesn't seem like a permanent solution. It's a whisper filter and I really can't afford to spend anymore $.

Feeding is still a work in progress, hoping once this filter problem is resolved I can try putting his food on a small plate with a turkey baster.

I've never really had an aquarium before so ANY insight, suggestions or comments would be appreciated!! Thank you!IMG_3554.JPGView attachment 1

You could try putting a filter intake sponge over the intake to baffle the flow. That's what most people do to reduce the flow in betta tanks, it seems to work well.
Hope this helps! :)

Im not a frog guy but...raising water level will also help with turbulence.

Yeah, great advice from flchamp. It really does help a lot when you raise the water level, I did that in my community tank so the tetras wouldn't get blown all over by my filter LOL

I don't have a tank cover and I keep the water that low to ensure he doesn't accidentally get out.

I was reluctant to buy a tank cover at the pet store as they only had mesh/screen covers and covers with a light which my frog wouldn't appreciate. Is there a website you might recommend that may have a cover (and possibly a filter I take sponge)?

And thank you for these helpful suggestions!

Cut plexi glass
Buy glass canopy
Screen top like for reptiles
Egg crate
Window screen

Amazon, dr fosters, big als, pet solutions .....should find anything you need online.

Hello again, after putting the filter intake sponge on the filter the strong draw from the filter has slowed and my frog seems to be acclimating into the tank.

Feeding is still a problem. I turkey basted some sinking frog pellets into a small rimmed dish (see attached photo) and he hasn't touched it. I am really concerned he isn't getting any nutrients. And it's a pain getting the old food out.

I don't know what more I can do! Suggestions?IMG_3565.JPG

I'm glad the intake sponge is helping!
Perhaps trying frozen foods, like bloodworms, would entice him to eat. I'm sure other more experienced aquarists will chime in with their feeding suggestions, too. :)

The frozen blood worms I looked at looked really big! I was afraid he would have trouble eating them. Is there somewhere other than a pet store that may sell these frozen foods cheaper?

Night crawlers or earthworms. You have to cut or dice them up but fish and frogs love them. Available at most gas stations as fishing bait

I used "river stones" instead of gravel and food from before I got a feeding dish and baster has rotted and I have white stringy film all over the stones. My frog is amazingly still alive but other than using a turkey baster to clean rocks, any suggestions?

Furthermore, it seems my frog can't get in the reptile feeding dish I bought and the one time he did he couldn't seem to get out. Again, suggestions?

I'm pretty sure he smells the blood worms I bought. It can't get them. Thinking large rock in feeding bowl?! Help!!!

I'd honestly switch to sand, those kinds of rocks are just junk traps for things to rot in. As for the feeding dish, you'll want something flatter, more like a plate or even a fist sized flat piece of rock/slate so he doesn't have to climb in or out. You also may want to invest in a gravel vac, much easier to use than a baster to clean. You can even just use some airline hose if you want, would just take longer.

The thought of changing substrate in my tank seems really daunting. But using a baster to clean is ruthless. Any insight into my fuzzy filter cartridge? Is it possible white fuzz could now be growing in the filter too?? Ack!! I moved to a tea cup saucer for feeding and it is working much better, so thanks for the suggestion.

Hello. I've had ADFs for several years but don't consider myself an expert. The advice I can give is what I've gleaned from the experts and has worked for me. First, they are social creatures and I suggest having two or more ADFs. I do not keep fish or snails in their tank. I feed frozen bloodworms almost exclusively. On occasion, I add some frozen brine shrimp. I put the frozen cube of bloodworms in a small dish, add bottled water, and in a couple of minutes when it has thawed, I use a plastic dropper to suck up a few worms which I feed directly to my frogs. Ridiculous I'm sure, but they were tiny when I got them and didn't trust they'd get enough from dish feeding. Now it allows me to have some interaction with these amazing and amusing creatures. I never use pellets because I've read too much bad press on them. I use a biological sponge filter which is incredibly cheap (Amazon) and last forever. Just rinse occasionally in dechlorinated water. The filter is attached to a small air pump with airline tubing (maybe $12). These filters cause very little disturbance in the water and the water is crystal clear. Also, I like to provide little hiding places for my frogs. There are fake logs, small caves, etc., or you can use a short piece of PVC pipe with the edges carefully sanded. I hope this might be helpful advice. Good luck!

My concern is that the tank isn't doing well. I'm fighting a battle with white fuzz and strings. It's getting better but I think it may even be growing in the filter. I am worried about adding another frog while the tank is a mess. I don't know what to do. How often do you feed the frozen blood worms? I'm having some success with them but don't want to over or under feed. My guy only eats when no ones around so it's hard to gauge. He's pretty small.

White fuzz and strings?

Is it possible the white fuzz and strings are spoiled bloodworms? If they aren't eaten in a timely fashion and left in the tank, they will spoil and become moldy with white fuzz. I usually feed once a day and 9 adult frogs share one cube of bloodworms. If they are particularly hungry, I might offer two. I have found that once they are sated, they stop eating, either swimming away or simply refusing the worm. If I have young frogs or one that isn't eating well, I feed twice a day. You might try to quarter the frozen bloodworm cube so what you offer is as fresh as possible. Never refreeze thawed worms. Although it can be costly, I throw out any questionable looking cubes or worms refrigerated for more than a day. I rather replace worms than frogs! You might be better off with a bare aquarium floor than river rocks which can harbor spoiled worms and possibly trap your little frog. I assume you're vacuuming and doing partial water changes with safe, dechlorinated water on a regular basis and having your water quality checked. Hang in there. Sometimes we get off to a bad start, but those frogs are so darn cute and entertaining you'll be glad for the effort.

Last edited:
How can I go about changing from rocks to gravel (or another substrate you might recommend)? And is it necessary in your opinion to change my filter due to the white strings (I think the pellet food I used before blood worms are the culprit). I'm doing water changes with treated water and cleaning with a a turkey baster with little result. I'm really concerned at this point that my frog is on his way out :( Thanks for your continued support and insight too!

Hi again. I would fill a clean, well rinsed glass bowl with aquarium water and then net the little frog and put him in the bowl. Remove all of the rocks, probably by hand. Use your turkey baster to remove any visible debris. Scoop out some more of the existing water to allow for the addition of 25 to 50% fresh water. Clean your filter and media using dechlorinated water. Restart the filter and replace the frog. The water quality is horrible where I live so I use 5 gallon bottled water, and I add a little stress coat water conditioner. If you're not using a dechlorinator, let the fresh water sit overnight to get rid of chlorine and reach room temperature. I always carefully wash and rinse my hands before and after any contact with my frogs. Don't ever use soap on anything else that comes in contact with the frogs. For feeding, I got my first few plastic pipettes for free when I needed some lab work done and I'm guessing they are available at your local pharmacy. I know you said you've reached your budget limits so hopefully you can get one or two which will last for many months. You'll pay $8 for 150 of them. I cut a little bit off the tip of the pipette to slightly enlarge the hole. One of my frogs grabs the pipette with his hands and places his mouth over the opening to get all the worms he can. Another frog usually hides behind a plant and I have to look for her to be sure she gets fed. I'm hoping your little frog can stay strong and healthy through this (and you, too!).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom