African Dwarf Frog Tadpole Aquarium Needs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Silver Ninja

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have 2 pair of African Dwarf Frogs & apparently they layed eggs which produced tadpoles! They are in a 10 gallon tank with a filter & heater. I usually do a 20-30% water change (I use spring water because that's what the pet shop recommended that I use.) every week & they don't seem to mind it.

I usually do a mild cleaning, very gently blowing a turkey baster over the rocks, to remove food & froggy "debris". The "debris" float up enough for me to catch it & squirt it into a net & start over. I had my grand-daughter over for several days & didn't do my mild cleaning. When I did, much to my surprise, there were living tadpoles in the tank, I guess they hatched & hid under or near the gravel and/or decorations & eat whatever food debris that the parents left behind.

I bought a breeder "basket" & feed them every day with a liquid solution of the parents food. They love it & know when it's feeding time because they come over to be fed! There are 5 of them & I look at them through a magnifying glass to make sure they stay healthy. I've also been finding more fertilized eggs & have been putting them in the basket.

Bits of food are filtering through the netting & I can't get underneath it to clean the gravel like I want to. I've been finding eggs & uneaten food with the dreaded fungus.

I've been doing some research & it says that the tadpoles should be in a 10 gallon aquarium, a heater, & a higher Ph than the parents. My question is, should the 10 gallon aquarium be filled with the full 10 gallons? Most frogs look for shallow water to lay eggs & it would make sense that the aquarium should have a shallow amount of water.

Hello Silver Ninja. I would fill the 10 gallon tank and leave the tadpoles in their breeder basket. I'm not sure why you are having difficulties cleaning under the basket in their current tank, but a 10 gallon tank should allow you to move the breeder basket about while you're cleaning. The basket also allows you to keep track of the tiny fry, and they are nearer the surface where they swim to breathe. It sounds like you're doing a great job. It must be fascinating to observe their maturation.

Back
Top Bottom