Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Aquatic Reptiles, Amphibians & Herpetology
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-18-2019, 03:35 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

African Dwarf Frogs and escaping

Hello.
I am considering getting a couple of African Dwarf Frogs, but one concern I have is I have heard/read that they will escape from tanks.
I have a glass lid on my tank now, and I do not want to put any sort of plastic one for aesthetic reasons.
This lid does have some very small gaps on the side, however. So I am curious 1. if there is any truth to ADFs escaping and 2. if I should worry about these tiny spaces (maybe half an inch or less, canít even fit my finger in them)
And if I SHOULD worry about this are there any solutions to this that wouldnít destroy the aesthetic of my tank or should I just throw the dreams of ADFs out the window? 😞

Old 07-22-2019, 01:35 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hi MaryBeth,
Like you, I’ve heard many tales of ADFs escaping, but I’ve been fortunate to never have experienced that problem. I’ve seen suggestions to lower the water level a bit and to keep “launching pads” away from the openings. Perhaps the opening is intended for tubing to run to the filter so that will further block the potential escape route. Maybe you could rim the edges of the cover by folding clear tape in half. Don’t leave any sticky part exposed, of course, but the clear tape trim wouldn’t be very noticeable. Good luck with your ADFs. I think you’re going to love them.

Old 07-23-2019, 07:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have African clawed frogs which are similar but bigger. I have a small slit between the lid and the edge which has never been a problem. They are fast swimmers and can launch but as long as the gap isn't big enough for them to fit through easily, it's most likely not going to be a problem.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Pics Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1563924447391.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	313517Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1563924457498.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	313518

Tags
african, african dwarf frog, african dwarf frogs, api, cap, dwarf, dwarf frog, frog, frogs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com