albino African clawed frogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flibble86

Aquarium Advice Activist
I saw some of these frogs today and found them fascinating. Would be tempted to set up a tank and get some, anyone got any advice regarding tank, ( I know they can't have a fast flowing filter due to vibrations) can they be kept in groups or are a pair off both sexes the best combo?

African clawed frogs are highly predatory and will try to eat each other. They are the freshwater equivalent of frogfishes.

I had African clawed frogs and loved them! They will eat every fish in your tank so the must be housed separately. They eat live fish such as guppies and mosquito fish. Do not feed them goldfish or rosey Minos , Roseys are a kind of gold fish. This will cause a vitamin C diffissioncy in the frogs. Yes they do eat the smaller frogs too. So u need your frogs to be roughly the same size. Females get larger than males. When breeding the adults must be removed from the tank or they will eat the tadpoles. So, your better off either getting females or males if u don't want to breed. They eat shrimp pellets, blood worms, live fish and anything else. They also like thawed frozen beef hearts. They are noise sensitive. Some people recommend no filters but they are dirty. I use a canister filter, a sunsun four tray with a spray bar they seem not to be bothered by it. You will have to do some partial water changes to remove ammonia. They don't like high ammonia levels and produce alot. I recommend sand not pebbles. Also make plenty of hiding places. I recommend live plants but silk plants work too. No plastic plants. They rip webbing in their feet.

Be careful with them. Most are carriers of chytrid fungus which usually will kill off other frog species, and if I remember correctly, some fish (but that shouldn't be a problem since you really can't house them with fish.) just be sure not to cross contaminate anything from their tank to another.

They also should have 10 gallons per frog. They are very messy and grow quite large. A friend has a pair of them in one of her 20 gallons and they dirty the tank just about as bad as goldfish.

You can get them frog pellets, or carnivore pellets, but frozen and live foods such as bloodworms and what not are usually best for them

I've always wanted to get the regular colored ones, but with my African dwarf frogs I'm just not willing to take that risk

I have had many and if you set them up in their own tank are fine. They will eat fish, mine ate floating pellot food. I did give them guppy fry for a treat here and again. They will spawn if conditions are good. These guys are inside pets only. They will cause major ecosystem issues if released. They don't do cold, but one summer is enough for a measurable impact.

A pair can go in a 15gal.

Back
Top Bottom