frogs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StickyOto

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am look for a frog to put in my fw 30g non planted [but I have plastic ones.] tank. It is a comity tank none of the fish are mean so a nice frog would go good.

:thanks:

assuming you mean ADFs,no. the fish will get all the food,and a 30 is too high for them to get air easily

I used to have African Dwarf Frogs, and they were kept nicely in a 3 gallon tank (i had two). ADFs would not work in a 30 gallon. They come up for air (kind of like bettas) so it would be too hard for them. I suppose you could, if you put up a divider and used gravel to make a part of the tank shallow enough for the frogs...but you probably wouldn't want to do that. If you have smaller or more shallow tanks, then ADFs would be a great option. Just make sure that whatever tank you put them in has a lid or hood(they are escape artists and will try to jump out), and is heated and filtered properly.

I don't think the tank size would be an issue if it weren't a community. A species only tank in a 30 should be fine. However I'd advise against adding them to your current set up.

If you really really wanted a frog in your tank, a "island" could be an arrangement for an African Dwarf Frog or two. Here's how you do it:
buy some sort of turtle basking dock and put a bit of gravel and a small plant on it. make about 6-8" from the top of the tank, and put the frogs there. they would go off to swim, but come back up to rest. and you could put their food there too. they eat shrimp pellets, frozen, dried, etc bloodworms, or aquatic frog food. also they have the ability to just float at the top of the tank to rest and breathe.

depends on how small your fish are. they get pretty big and can eat most small fish.

ACF's will eat fish, as many frogs will. ACF's get quite large and couldn't be kept with any fish that could be kept in a 30 gal.

there is a recently developed relative of the clawed frog that is smaller, though. not sure about the temperment

Back
Top Bottom