Mts (snail)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hobgob

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hopefully this is in the right spot.
I recently put sand into one of my tank and am looking for something to dig. I came across the Malaysian trumpet snail. So i called my lfs and asked if he had any. He said yes but he didn't really want me to have them. He said that they will reproduce like crazy and there is no way of controlling it. Only thing is, I read the opposite.
I was thinking that people on here would have to come across them at some point. What was your experience with them? Any and all responses will be appreciated.

I have them because they like to dig. I have sand substrate so the sand needs turning over. I like MTS and to do multiply if you overfeed.

i have some in my tanks. :) not only do mine keep sand stirred up, they also eat algae!

I've got some coming. Yes, they'll multiply if you give them enough food. I plan to counter this possibility with a couple assassin snails once the MTSs are established. They're also not hard to collect if they start hanging out on the glass--otherwise, they'll be buried and you won't notice them. :)

But they only multiply if you give them the food right? Also how many should I get?

One more thing, will they eat eggs or fry from my kribs? And will my kribs, gold barbs, sturbai cories, and bnp eat them?

I doubt any of the fish you have will eat the snails. I don't think the snails are known for eating eggs, but can't give 100% on that. Snails tend to breed when there's plenty to eat, so if there's a food shortage, they're less likely to breed; however, I've heard of population explosions even when the fish appear to finish all their food very quickly. I'm not worried about it--like I said, planning on a couple assassin snails once the MTS's are established to keep the population in check, and if I wind up with them all over the glass, I'll start picking them out. A handful of snails wandering around, I like. The glass covered in them, not so much *lol*

Depending on your size tank, if you put two or three in a smaller tank, you'll probably wind up with plenty. In a larger tank, ten or twelve, I'd think.This is pure conjecture--no experience (yet) so someone may have better numbers for you.

It is for a 35gallon. I just put the sand in two days ago so there wouldn't be lots of food I don think. Also I feed twice a day but very minimal sometimes all my fish don't even get to eat...

You'll probably be ok on population explosions. I would make sure you put a little extra in, like, once a week or so to make sure they're eating something with a new tank.

I should put in Extra snails or food?
I was thinking 7 or so. To start out with. There is some algae on a few rocks also. How many would you recommend me getting?

i would start at about ten. :) they will probably breed a little bit regardless of how much you feed... but they're somewhat profitable if you get overrun. ;)

Meant extra food--but only if nothing's dropping to the ground during normal feedings. If you have a sinking pellet you feed, no worries.

I just got back and he gave me about 13 and said he did not want any coming back lol. Some are adult sizes and some are really tiny. A couple are midsize. How should I acclimate them? Right now I'm just getting the temp in the bag the same temperature. Can I just drop then in? Or are they sensitive to ph swings?

Some plop and drop. I acclimate snails the same way I acclimate fish--temperature match, add a little bit of water to the bag as it floats every so often. May be unnecessary as they're tough little critters, but it makes me feel better.

i would acclimate them like you would any hardy fish. ph swings might not be good.

So slowly add water. Sounds good to me. I live them all ready lol

Haha just noticed I said live them. I meant love them. Stupid touch screen.

Is it normal for my fish to pick them up in their mouths? My male krib had one in his mouth for about 20 seconds then spat it back out. Also I can't tell if there is an empty shell. One hasn't moved all night and my female krib was sitting beside it...

Huh. I'd never looked run into it before, but I looked up kribs as snail eaters...apparently, they will go after pond snails on occasion. I wouldn't worry too much about the MTS's as a whole--they're last on the list of any of the dedicated snail eaters because their shells are so hard--possibly why he spit it out. Or he could have been playing with it. :)

I haven't seen any fish that suck the snail out of the shell other than perhaps the dwarf puffer--I'd need to look back up how they eat--so it's less than likely an undamaged shell got bothered by the fish. If it were me, I'd probably have gone in and picked it up to check, though *lol* At 13 of them, one or two won't make much of a difference if your kribs do turn out to enjoy escargot. :D

I just notices a snail in it but he hasnt moved yet. Also will the snails just go everywhere or stay close together? Also he hasn't moved yet since I noticed. If I leave the shell in. Will any harm come from it?

Back
Top Bottom