Mts (snail)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well he is kind of out. Not moving yet. Maybe he is afraid of the fishes lol. What temp would be good for the snails? And he just went back into his shell :(

If some of my snails are on their backs. Will they flip over on their own?

Also I just watched my female pick up the shell by the opening and sucked a bit... But I can't see if anything is inside the shell or not..

they flip on their own. if you're suspicious about an unmoving snail... give it a smell... that's really all it takes to find out lol. you'll know if it's dead... have any of the fish burrowed yet?

MTS's are tough little guys--they'll be fine at whatever temp your fish like. They won't stay together in the way that schooling fishes tend to stay together--they'll be all over the place. They're not particularly social unless breeding. Blackmolly's right that they'll flip on their own. Honestly, MTS's are pretty easy critters. They eat detritus and don't die very easily. Folks have found them in gravel after it's been sitting dry for a while.

blackmolly said:
they flip on their own. if you're suspicious about an unmoving snail... give it a smell... that's really all it takes to find out lol. you'll know if it's dead... have any of the fish burrowed yet?

The krib have two nests. One in my flower pot and the other is under a huge rock on the left side. They have puled the sand up 2 inches past what i had it. I attached a photo of what their had before. There is suppose to be a piece of fake wood beside it... My cories tend to play in the sand a bit. Also their barbels seem to be getting longer, which I am sorry for them.

image-3631273917.jpg

This is what the tank looks like so the nest was under the left side.

Attachments

• image-1826714245.jpg
    image-1826714245.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 81
  • image-1515991740.jpg
    image-1515991740.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 64
Also I will test that smell thing tomorrow that snail is still in the same spot... I will try and get a good picture of it. The shell looks a little damaged...

So he is still in the same spot, hasn't moved. He doesn't smell really bad or anything either... Should I just remove him?

Personally, I would leave him. If he's alive, he may still decide to move yet. If he's dead, doesn't stink, and your water parameters haven't reacted like he's dead, it makes a pretty decoration *lol*

The two peoe above mentioned it as a way to tell and when I pull out a dead fish it smells pretty bad... But if he is dead why would I want to leave him in there. Also he could be dead if my kribs ate him...

Also he hasn't moved since the day after I got him and my female krib was sitting right beside it...

If he's dead, especially if he's dead because the kribs ate him, the shell's empty and makes a pretty decoration (IMO, at least :) ). If you can see him still in the shell and he's not stinky, he's not dead. ^_^

My mystery snail didn't move for two weeks. MTS's may not be the same, but it's a possibility. Like I said, I would leave him in, but that's personal preference. If you feel better pulling him out, go ahead. ^_^

I can't really tell if it's empty or not though. That's the hard thing. Also he doesn't ever move or even come out of his shell. I'd like to remove him before my water tells me he is dead and if someone did eat him, my water wouldn't react as bad.

That works. This kind of stuff is a balancing act--which are you more worried about. :)

What you can also do if you're worried about chucking him and him still being alive is get a small cup, put water in it, and keep him in there for a while. Or chuck him. If you crush him and there's still snail in there, betcha the kribs would enjoy the treat. :)

Well now I'm really confused. The lights off and it has been dark in there but I didn't see any snails anywhere! Other then the one shell. Well I did see one snail but he isnt out of his shell either. Hopefully he moves...
I just thought, since they are nocturnal. I would have at least seen one moving around. The light is off. During the day I would even see a small one under some the rock ledges in the darkness. But I haven't for a couple of days now hopefully I see some tomorrow and the new shell isn't there.

Hobgob said:
Well now I'm really confused. The lights off and it has been dark in there but I didn't see any snails anywhere! Other then the one shell. Well I did see one snail but he isnt out of his shell either. Hopefully he moves...
I just thought, since they are nocturnal. I would have at least seen one moving around. The light is off. During the day I would even see a small one under some the rock ledges in the darkness. But I haven't for a couple of days now hopefully I see some tomorrow and the new shell isn't there.

Just look for trails. I bought about 10 for y 55g, at night I see at least 200. Love them, they only come out at night. I may see one or two in the daytime. They do fine with my pair of kribs as well.

It is night time though and I don't see anything...

They may be happy just digging around in the substrate and not feel any need to come out. :)

Hopefully that's the case but these kribs are really weird compared to my other kribs. Eating neons. My male picked up that shell the other day again. It still hasn't moved...

I think at this point, I'd assume dead. Maybe your krib considers it decorating house with it? :D

Back
Top Bottom