Rescued 2 turtles.. Need advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HB87

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay, my cousins neighbor had 2 turtles (not sure the types yet) that she was going to just let go in the backyard or a creek. I said I'd take them because I didnt want them to die or anything. They will be here in the morning... All I know about them is one is a soft shell and they both are water turtles. I have zero experiance with turtles and I need help. What do I need to have for the tank? What do they eat? Is there any certian sand/rock required?

Any help would be great... I just need the basics or a site that I can find the info on if anyone can help me. Thank you :)

HB87 said:
Okay, my cousins neighbor had 2 turtles (not sure the types yet) that she was going to just let go in the backyard or a creek. I said I'd take them because I didnt want them to die or anything. They will be here in the morning... All I know about them is one is a soft shell and they both are water turtles. I have zero experiance with turtles and I need help. What do I need to have for the tank? What do they eat? Is there any certian sand/rock required?

Any help would be great... I just need the basics or a site that I can find the info on if anyone can help me. Thank you :)

For one, once you get the turtles post a picture and we'll help you identify them. Secondly, tank size: it really depends on the second turtle that you'll be getting as well... I have a YBS and I don't have any substance I find that cleaning the tank is easier this way. I'd get a nice big filter for them as well, turtles are very very messy!!! I feed my turtle a mix of veggies, fruits, turtle pellets and occasionally the frozen shrimp or worms. But not too much protein! A good website it http:/ www.austinsturtlepage.com/

HB87 said:

Once you get them post pictures and we should be able to identify them. Go with sand substrate, some turtles eat gravel and choke to death or die of impaction. Do you have a tank or pond for them? You'll need a basking lamp and bulb (I recommend ZooMed bulbs, everything else burst on me within a few days), a quality pellet like ZooMed or T-rex, A strong filter, a big tank, and a dock/basking spot. Keep in mind, turtles can live to 30 plus years so you have to be committed to taking care of these critters long term. I am also on a turtle forum, let me know if you want the URL.

AquaKai said:
For one, once you get the turtles post a picture and we'll help you identify them. Secondly, tank size: it really depends on the second turtle that you'll be getting as well... I have a YBS and I don't have any substance I find that cleaning the tank is easier this way. I'd get a nice big filter for them as well, turtles are very very messy!!! I feed my turtle a mix of veggies, fruits, turtle pellets and occasionally the frozen shrimp or worms. But not too much protein! A good website it http:/ www.austinsturtlepage.com/

Beat me to it ;) Takes forever to type on my phone with dumb auto-correct messing up my words lol.

Yeah, but I didn't put in the bulb and the basking dock... Also cuttle bone is very good for food, it gives them calcium and something to chew on:)

Thank you guys for the quick replies!

I will post pics as soon as I have them here. I dont know yet what they come with as far as tank and accescories yet. Can all of the things you all have mentioned be bought at a pet store?

And thank you for the website provided... I'm going to check it out :)

HB87 said:
Thank you guys for the quick replies!

I will post pics as soon as I have them here. I dont know yet what they come with as far as tank and accescories yet. Can all of the things you all have mentioned be bought at a pet store?

And thank you for the website provided... I'm going to check it out :)

Yeah I've also gotten a bunch of my stuff off of craigslist, which is usually very plentiful of such things! I get my cuttlebones from Walmart, everything else either a pet store or craigslist:) I hope everything goes good!

GuppyLover said:
Once you get them post pictures and we should be able to identify them. Go with sand substrate, some turtles eat gravel and choke to death or die of impaction. Do you have a tank or pond for them? You'll need a basking lamp and bulb (I recommend ZooMed bulbs, everything else burst on me within a few days), a quality pellet like ZooMed or T-rex, A strong filter, a big tank, and a dock/basking spot. Keep in mind, turtles can live to 30 plus years so you have to be committed to taking care of these critters long term. I am also on a turtle forum, let me know if you want the URL.

Yes I would love the url please :)

AquaKai said:
Yeah I've also gotten a bunch of my stuff off of craigslist, which is usually very plentiful of such things! I get my cuttlebones from Walmart, everything else either a pet store or craigslist:) I hope everything goes good!

Awesome :) thank you! I hope everything goes good too. I had never thought much of keeping a turtle but I didnt want these guys to just be thrown out like they had planned :(

AquaKai said:
Yeah, but I didn't put in the bulb and the basking dock... Also cuttle bone is very good for food, it gives them calcium and something to chew on:)

Totally forgot the cuttle bone!! I never had the chance to give it to Squirt so didnt think of it.

The softshells we would hunt/fish for are usually buried in the sand/mud..the shells on them is more like a leather than a rock like most, so I would make sure there is several inches of sand in his tank.

Demonknight said:
The softshells we would hunt/fish for are usually buried in the sand/mud..the shells on them is more like a leather than a rock like most, so I would make sure there is several inches of sand in his tank.

Okay. Thank you for that info. I can get sand at the pet store right? Sorry if thats a dumb question, I just wanna make sure I know where to get anything I might need so I can be prepared.

HB87 said:
Okay. Thank you for that info. I can get sand at the pet store right? Sorry if thats a dumb question, I just wanna make sure I know where to get anything I might need so I can be prepared.

You should get pool filter sand (PFS), its like $ 5 for a 50 lb bag. I think Lowes and Home Depot sell it.

Okay thank you :)

I just got the turtles. Once I get them setup I will get some pics posted.

I dont know if the pics attached.. Sorry if they didnt... But heres pics of the turtles. (hope it work :-/ )

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110909_115054.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110909_115054.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 96
  • ForumRunner_20110909_115114.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110909_115114.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 109
HB87 said:
I dont know if the pics attached.. Sorry if they didnt... But heres pics of the turtles. (hope it work :-/ )

I think that the other turtle is some slider like a painter or red ear...

Thanks! :) I'm glad I saved them too.

Okay... Thank you... Sorry the pics arent the best.. Not sure if these are better?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110909_145054.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110909_145054.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 95
  • ForumRunner_20110909_145117.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110909_145117.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 93
Back
Top Bottom