Wanting to start a frog tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TimeKeeper88

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm relatively new to the fish world and am wanting to start a frog tank with clawed frogs and maybe dwarfs. I know you shouldn't put clawed in with fish. I have a 10g filled with fish and a 5g for these little guys. Any advice or help would be great!

Welcome to fish keeping! Frogs are a great, low maintenence addition. I always love adding a new type of animal to my collection. Dwarf frogs and clawed frogs are "cousins" but not very similar. Sometime Clawed frogs are mislabled as dwarf frogs when they are young. Young clawed frogs and dwarf frogs have one distince difference: dwarf frogs have webbing on their front feet whereas clawed don't.

A five gallon tank is the perfect place to start with frogs. This suits 1 African Clawed Frog, but many more dwarf. I'd say about 6 dwarf frogs in a frog only tank. I recommend, for a more interesting look, to add either 2 frogs and 1 betta, or 2 frogs and a small school of neon tetras.

I'm not sure what African Clawed Frogs eat, but Dwarf frogs will eat a variety of things. They will accept bloodworms, shrimp pellets*, or any aquatic frog pellet. If the pellets are larger than this " they should be broken or crumbled, since Dwarf Frogs can easily be killed by a too large pellet causing intestinal blockage.

Dwarf Frogs are usually a little over $1 and I would recommend them over the clawed frogs for your tank.

From what I heard, clawed frogs are pigs and the dwarfs would be a better idea.

I'm relatively new to the fish world and am wanting to start a frog tank with clawed frogs and maybe dwarfs. I know you shouldn't put clawed in with fish. I have a 10g filled with fish and a 5g for these little guys. Any advice or help would be great!
Hello and welcome to AA! :welcome:

You cannot mix ACF's with ADF's. Not only does one require cool water and the other warm, but the ACF's would gobble up the dwarfs. One ACF would need a 20 gal tank, so those are out. You can keep a trio of ADF's in the 5 gal though.

To sex them check for a bump in the armpit area only the males have. Go for one male and two females. They need it heated to 80 degrees. A sponge filter works best for them as they can get caught in the filter intake on power filters. Deposit their food in the same place every day, a feeding dish works best, since they can't see well and will often leave a mess behind otherwise. Feed them only pellets for frogs some as HBH frog and tadple bites and Tetramin frog granules, as well as frozen foods like bloodworms and brine shrimp. They will do best in a planted aquarium. Avoid any fake plants or decor that they could damage their skin on. Make sure there is nothing in the tank that could be tipped by a frog slamming into it, as they can get pinned and drown this way. Also be sure you add them to a completely cycled aquarium. You'll be able to hear the male hum when he's courting a female. They are lots of fun to keep :)

I recommend you do not add any tankmates with your frogs, except for maybe a nerite snail, as they can easily be outcompeted for food.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom