10 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seacat

Aquarium Advice Freak
i am just starting out a 10 gal tank right now and i was wondering if its okay to put like 5 - 10 lbs of LR in it, 2 clown fish, and some reef for the clowns. i was wondering if thats good, or if there is a better setup out there that you recommend i use. thanks

Too small

I am a newbie to saltwater, but I can tell you that a ten gallon tank may be a bit small for two clowns. You may want to go to a bigger tank size like a 20 or 29 gallon tank.

I won't tell you it can't be done, but the anything smaller than a 30g is going to be a challenge, even for seasoned aquarists. Temp, salinity and PH swings will have to be kept at a minimum or you will not be successful. The bigger the better :lol:

See nano-reef.com. You should see what people do with a 10 gal or even a 2.5! 10 gal with a mini-hob fuge seems to be popular :)

It can definately be done, but, the amount of work required to maintian a small tank is exponentially larger than that needed for a larger tank. I've never tried smaller than a 55 but know a few that have. They like the cute look of the nano, but hated the work involved. I'd also suggest a 29 or better for a beginner. And clowns will get around 3-5 inches as adults, pretty big for a 10.

aight thanks. my older brother has a 29 and its going great right now and its been going for about a 2-3 weeks. and i was looking on the internet and people say its alot easier to do a 10 then most people think. but what do you recommend i do. should i just get one fish and lr.

You definately have to keep up on evaporation but you can always try it. The smaller the bioload(less fish) the better. Maybe one clown and some softies. Some shrimp are just as entertaining as fish, IMO.

Alot of softies are pretty hardy and will tell you if your water is not up to snuff. A bigger tank definately allows for more flexibility and bigger fudge factor. Just be smart and don't overstock/overfeed and keep up on water changes and you can make it work.

i want to have aleast 2 fish so maybe the 2 smallest fish you can get, but i also dont know what the smallest fish is. and then lr is that a good setup?

Back
Top Bottom