10 gal sw tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crb530

Aquarium Advice Activist
hey every one i am new to salt water and i work at a pet store and i want to start a salt water tank i have a extra 10 gal tank and want to set it up as salt water i know it will be alot harder i know i will be doing water changes like ever week.

what i was wondering what should i put in the tank i was think ten pounds of live sad with ten pounds of small live rock

the fish i was looking to get after i cycle the tank in like one maybe to clown fish and a cleaner shrimp

what do you guys think of the idea

water changes wont be what will be difficult to you.. what you will have to be worrying with is the topoff. salinity changes with the loss of water (salinity is basicly gravity to fish) the higher it is the heavier the world is to them.

other than that.. you should have everything else you will need with the live rock and the live sand. and your tank should be able to manage a clown and a shrimp.

alright sounds good i knew that would happen with the evaperation but if i add r/o i will be fine

is there anything more i can add to the tank animal wise

yeah you could add corals in the future but let me tell you once you start getting corals that's when it get very addicting.

I was just letting you know.. that would be the only limitation to a smaller tank.. the topoff is what a lot of people dont expect to have to deal with on such a level as is required with a smaller tank.

I have to agree with top-offs. I have a 10g qt/frag tank in the basement were it's cooler than the rest of the house and I have to top it off frequently more so than my 110g tank that's in my office with no cover.

Michael
Are you running MH's? I'm curious since I haven't picked out my lights yet I would like to know what to expect with my 110g. I figure 1-3g a day.

It depends on how close the MHs are to the water, if you have a lid/canopy and/or the wattage of the lights.....oh and the temp of the house....

No ironicly enough.. im using Halogen lol 6 of them.. and 2 36" marine reef 50/50 lights... kinda made my own light bar lol

Correction... not Halogen..(the 2 36" ones are..) but the other lights im using came from lowes... these exact ones actually lol

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=227958-1390-GL9165-BK-I&lpage=none

img_984214_0_fb9e428b5bf6458c86893dbffcad724a.jpg

Fun little do it yourself project =D

The Dr.'s have a page of all nano fish.

Nano Fish

I have had a clown goby (green) and i thought it was a little fish with a lot of personality. Likes to perch on a few of his favorite rocks or corals and just people watch.

Have also had the wheeler's goby and he was a nice fish as well. Once they get comfortable they will be out looking for food quite often. Takes them a while to really be comfortable though.

Would probably only do one clown in that sized thank. Two would probably max you out. Personally would rather have a bit more of a variety.

thanks for all the info

im getting ready to start the tank soon just have to wait for my pay check

To all you guys that have like 5g a day top offs etc. Doesnt that get really pricey? I mean when you add more water your having to mix the salt correct. So thats roughly 2.5 cups of salt a day. If you use the 1/2 a cup a gal rule.

Top off water is FW only. When your water evaporates it`s the FW only. The salt stays in the tank.

just think about the dead sea.. it is so salty because of all the runoffs and evaperation.

and a RO/DI system helps the cost count come to $0.00 =D

Back
Top Bottom