100 gallon reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Elmo1287 said:
Some of its kinda Jerry riged as you can tell I have a filter bag in my return plus bio media and a biological air filter three baffles which lead too my LR and sand plus a clean up crew of hermits and two snails and a chocolate chip star about to get some cheato ordered online then another baffle which leads to my last filters that where on my old fish tank that just add bio media on them about to remove them and add a 150gallon protein skimmer my tank is only 120gallons

Nice!
Jerry rigged is the only way to do anything in this hobby.

I wish I had space for a refugium.

Run dual heaters. Only reason id ever suggest this is because 1) it ensures youre not overworking a single heater 2) itll prevent hot/comd spots (assuming you run them on different ends) and most importantly 3) if one heater ever craps out in te middle of the night, dont gotta worry about losing everything

Oh and flex tubing works great for beginner or temporary setups but id get a more permanent rigid tubing installed at some point. Just make sure you install check valves, ball valves, and quick disconnects where needed

Okay, I've run into a problem other than my rocks aren't here yet.
I need a skimmer that's shorter than two feet.
My stand is really short, any ideas?

Zactheninja said:
Okay, I've run into a problem other than my rocks aren't here yet.
I need a skimmer that's shorter than two feet.
My stand is really short, any ideas?

Build a footer for your stand to sit on, itll give you extra clearance. I have 32.5" of usable clearance under my stand now. Up from 27. Most would prob say that this idea is bad, however i feel that when it comes to larger sw tanks, we shouldnt sacrifice on skimmer selection.

Filling up today.

Been making r/o for a day now.
Tomorrow I'm going to get live rock and it will be running.

My dry rock hasn't gotten here yet though. Been about a month since I ordered it...

Attachments

• image-246296596.jpg
    image-246296596.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 121
I can't lol. I'm using a 55 gallon to mix and as it fills I pump the water over.
So it's half full until tomorrow.
And that's my sump.

Progress!

Went and got the rocks today.
40 pounds/3rocks.

Everything is doing okay, little worried about one spot leaking but ill fix it.
Sump is looking good.
Flow is good.
Noise is high.
Salinity is okay, I don't trust the hydro meter but it will work until I get a refractor meter.

Attachments

• image-2395447613.jpg
    image-2395447613.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 127
  • image-1682849511.jpg
    image-1682849511.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 87
  • image-2284912058.jpg
    image-2284912058.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 125
  • image-1526840047.jpg
    image-1526840047.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 98
Wow it's really loud...what can I do to make is silent?
Anything?

I don't have a sump, but have been researching them cuz I plan to do one in the next year. I've heard that you can put a small piece of sponge either in the sump part where the water is splashing or at the top if its the intake that's making a lot of noise. The sponge should still let water flow through, but cut down on the noise.

Sorry. That's all I've got in my bag of tricks- I just started studying up on sumps a few days ago.

You're welcome, sorry I couldn't help more. Hope someone who actually has a sump will chime in and help you to quiet it down. :)

Assuming the noise is from the overflow pipes, here's what I do for my standpipes. I have 2 pipes, a 1" and a 1.5". The 1 inch is a bit shorter and has a gate valve in order to make minute (small) adjustments. If I run it wide open it will take all the flow and sound like a couple transfers sucking face in a dark corner. So I close it off a bit do the tank level rises to the larger and higher overflow. Wham adjusted just right the water barely goes in that pipe and small one is quietly working below the surface.

Pic please!

Ok

Fingers for reference. The lower pipe is just over 1" below the larger pipe.

Good luck

Attachments

• image-1602437048.jpg
    image-1602437048.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 101
  • image-2325611221.jpg
    image-2325611221.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 83
I think I've got it now, thanks ingy.

Pics.

It's really cleared up In the last few days.

I'm waiting for my rock to get here still, should arrive Wednesday. Note I've been waiting for 5 weeks so if you ever order from reef rocks order a good time before the tank is to be set up.

But other than that everything is going great.
...it's gonna be a long month for this to cycle....

Attachments

• image-569440001.jpg
    image-569440001.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 85
  • image-4168965762.jpg
    image-4168965762.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 103
  • image-575314333.jpg
    image-575314333.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 90
Back
Top Bottom