Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-02-2012, 10:55 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was always under the impression they did better alone. Either way a fire fish would work but your still very very limited to live stock. I wouldn't do all those crabs together, or pairs of certain ones. They will just kill each other.

I think a nice pistol shrimp goby pair and a nice purple fire fish or a red one would really make the tank. And really set it off with some amazing corals and just sit back and enjoy your piece of the ocean.

And of course add your inverts.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:06 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict

They do best with 1 or a mated pair. More than that an they'll fight.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:12 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beengirl
They do best with 1 or a mated pair. More than that an they'll fight.
Ah I gotcha. My guy recommended to me getting just one and now I know why. Probably couldn't sex them.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 09-02-2012, 11:17 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict

Have no idea how they sex them. Lol. I'm lucky to tell a Firefish from a goby!! Lol
Old 09-02-2012, 11:20 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beengirl
Have no idea how they sex them. Lol. I'm lucky to tell a Firefish from a goby!! Lol
Haha I literally laughed out loud.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:33 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Here's some info on the Catalina goby. It say 60-70 degrees which us pretty cold for most other fish.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...155&pcatid=155

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:06 AM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

It looks like if I got that one then I don't need a heater for the tank, but how many would be a good idea? Like just one or maybe 2-3?

And for the other inhabitants, will the low temp be safe?
Old 09-03-2012, 12:23 AM   #48
Aquarium Advice Activist

I was looking at those catalina gobies. REALLY beautiful fish!! I would need a chiller to keep them, and then my clownfish would turn to popsicles.

Just for the record, I thought I would start with a fish only set up to get the hang of saltwater. Man oh man do I regret not getting live rock at the minimum. My fault for listening to the LFS. REAL corals look so beautiful!!!

My two clowns are thriving in a 12 gallon. My water params are still perfect. However, I have no idea what will happen when the fish mature. That's why I am getting a larger tank soon.

My recommendations:

Go with live sand/rock, some quality lighting, a pair of fire fish, some cleaner shrimp, hermits, snails and corals/nems. It truly will be a wonder to behold!!

BTW... My wife just got an epidural an hour ago, and is now sleeping. The boy will be born within a couple hours!!! Glad the hospital has WIFI so I can check out AA and do some quality reading
Old 09-03-2012, 01:09 AM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packohotdogs
I was looking at those catalina gobies. REALLY beautiful fish!! I would need a chiller to keep them, and then my clownfish would turn to popsicles.

Just for the record, I thought I would start with a fish only set up to get the hang of saltwater. Man oh man do I regret not getting live rock at the minimum. My fault for listening to the LFS. REAL corals look so beautiful!!!

My two clowns are thriving in a 12 gallon. My water params are still perfect. However, I have no idea what will happen when the fish mature. That's why I am getting a larger tank soon.

My recommendations:

Go with live sand/rock, some quality lighting, a pair of fire fish, some cleaner shrimp, hermits, snails and corals/nems. It truly will be a wonder to behold!!

BTW... My wife just got an epidural an hour ago, and is now sleeping. The boy will be born within a couple hours!!! Glad the hospital has WIFI so I can check out AA and do some quality reading
Hey!! Congrats dude!! Your life is about to change for good!! (and for the better)
Old 09-03-2012, 01:13 AM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alia258
It looks like if I got that one then I don't need a heater for the tank, but how many would be a good idea? Like just one or maybe 2-3?

And for the other inhabitants, will the low temp be safe?
Catalina need 60-70*, Peppermint shrimp need 72-78* water- maybe set at 71 and split the difference?? I don't know if that would work. You could try one, see how they do.

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, set up, tan, tank set up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com