125 Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Coral, sorry about the clown. Are you sure the tank was done cycling?
I don't see any posts showing that the ammonia level spiked and went down, followed by the nitrite doing the same and then nitrate spiking. At that point you should have done a 30% water change, and waited a week to test all the water parameters.

Stevie, you are missing the point. The nitrogen cycle is the breakdown of organic material that creates ammonia. The ammonia is converted to nitrite and then to nitrate. Ammonia and nitrites are toxic to fish in small doses. Fish can tolerate nitrates up to about 80 -100 ppm. Regardless of which type of filtration you use you are going to get the Waste > Ammonia > Nitrite > Nitrate part of the cycle going. The problem is how you deal with the last stage which is Nitrate > Nitrogen which is harmless and will be removed naturally. In a wet/dry the last part normally occur via a PWC. In a Deep Sand Bed (DSB) the lower areas of the sand contain the bacteria that convert nitrate into nitrogen. The same occurs in porous rock which contains deep recesses with little water flow. Those areas become devoid of oxygen (anoxic) and that is where the bacteria that convert nitrate to nitrogen thrive.

Okay i am going to take the grunt out and finish testing it. I guess i had a blonde moment I feel bad now for the clown :(
should have paid more attention to the parameters before adding fish. But the grunt is fine he is swimming and eating like a pig.

What make you guys think that nitrate is so bad? If nitrate is bad, nitrite is worse and more toxic. If you do not want nitrate you will have nitrite. The nitrogen cycle is but from ammonia to nitrite to nitrate to nitrogen. you do not want it to stop it at nitrite do you? or to slow it down from nitrite to nitrate.

To get rid of nitrite is to convert it into nitrate as soon as possible. Even better, remove the waste via mechanical filtration and protein skimmer before it could turn into ammonia in the first place!

What's else is best to convert nitrite into nitrate = Wet/Dry!

Wet/dry is so ez to maintain and cost no more after initial investment if you use bioballs as medium. No pump whatsoever needed. Periodiacally clean/change the prefilter is what you need to do. The prefilter itself removes much of the waste from gettting into the nitrogen cycle.

Cheers
Stevie

I myself don't use any media in my sump or keep anything down there besides my skimmer, heater, and some carbon. I just have lots of LR in my tank (about 70lbs in a 55). My waters nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia read at 0 consistently, in a tank thats about 8-9 months old.

Well I just got back from my LFS and discovered that the Glass lids I want dearly are actually bad for my lighting (the glass takes away the UV rays necessary) I also made my wish-list
48" T-5 Lighting Fixture
9 watt UV Sterilizer
SeaClone 150 Protein Skimmer
and maybe some more live rock
I also just found an Aptaisia Anemone on a piece of live rock are they bad or are they ok if I leave it alone, it looks like it could be dying anyway

They are bad! They are ugly and will sting corals growing around them. It wont die on its own they live forever! haha kill it with some lemon juice or go buy the aiptasia-X. make sure to turn the current off while killing them and try to get it right in their mouths. Leave the current off for about 10 mins.

Well just got the two 1300 GPH Powerheads I ordered, and I have to say they definitely increased water flow! I put one in both back corners of the tank. Now all I have to do is wait for my T-5 Light to be delivered then find a protein skimmer! :D
And In other good news, that nasty aptaisia died! yes! :)

I actually found a Marineland 300 In Sump Skimmer on ebay for a good deal hopefully I win it! Thanks for the suggestions however. I have a SeaClone 100 on my other salt tank it works but it constantly spits out microbubbles :mad:

That Gosh darn aptasia WILL NOT DIE!!!! >:l I think I am going to try to use either peppermint shrimp or copperband butterflyfish. And I also found two coral polyps (I hope I don't kill them)

Well just got the T5 Light in, well All I have to say is WOW!
img_1175545_0_1f35bf2a48835d40eccf82e1d428e1a6.jpg

Daylights only
img_1175545_1_8c57e82f0902854d9d040c8f3c0a8397.jpg

Actinic Only
img_1175545_2_a2ba72648680d88150157090384788cb.jpg

Night Lights (Bad Pic it is bright outside)
img_1175545_3_b87bc16c907541e97c6cd1e562eb8013.jpg

i would go with the pepermint shimps.... they cheap and work very fast, and as they grow they a blast to watch, i got mine to eat from my hand now as i have no aiptasia for them to chew on
Scott

Got me a Clean-up crew today consisting of 20 small hermits and 10 Snails (Not sure of the species though) I think I am going to get some more hermits and snails and maybe a few peppermint shrimp

That canopy is looking very nice. Do you have to stand on a ladder to reach into the tank now?

Is that muro in the background wall paper or a custom painting? It's almost too nice to cover up with an aquarium in front of it.

That canopy is looking very nice. Do you have to stand on a ladder to reach into the tank now?

Is that muro in the background wall paper or a custom painting? It's almost too nice to cover up with an aquarium in front of it.

Thanks! I have a small stool that I keep in the stand it comes in handy all the time now lol
The mural is wallpaper I love it I didnt want to put the tank there but that was the only place I could put the tank.

I love big tanks! I'm a freshwater girl too but I'm following!

Back
Top Bottom