125 Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CoraltheClownfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well I went out and got another 125 gallon tank but this time it is Reef-Ready! My other 125 leaked and I tried but could not reseal it. Anyway I got this monster off of craigslist for $225, it came with the wood stand and two wet/dry filters (But with no pumps or plumbing, thank goodness that I have an uncle that loves this stuff and happens to have spare parts laying around) I hope to get this beast running sometime this week.
Here some pics

The tank as of right now
img_1164908_0_ac6f341fdce4ca9310b259f5685d0fae.jpg

The Overflow box and 1st Return
img_1164908_1_07cbd5e611e35f08bcd9ec5c307bb075.jpg

Close-up of 1st return
img_1164908_2_17117efe0a783af5da881e9566b61fa3.jpg

2nd Return
img_1164908_3_59ede861734ea928c27bcc483ee44a3d.jpg

Wet/Dry that I am going to use
img_1164908_4_8227110084dfa01e833f97ca23ed9331.jpg

Will be updating soon!

More Stuff! :D

The 70 pound rock I found at the beach!
img_1164910_0_a25e27d128adc5b6ef94eba0fa8b14cc.jpg

And Two 40 pound bags of "Live" Sand from the LFS I got for a discounted total price of just $50, Deals and Steals
img_1164910_1_8da8e1d82e02b4a9eb0271752a90aee6.jpg

More to Come! :D

The big rock was up on the beach not in the water so it doesnt have anything live on it yet.
The sand I got is not Crushed coral it is a fine sand from CaribSea they say it is Live but other people say that there is no such thing so, But I have the same exact sand in my other salt tank and it looks gorgeous in it Let's hope for the best.

If all those different colored things in the sump are sponges, you should remove them. That will become a giant nitrate factory trapping all kinds of crap.

No, the pot scrubbers will also collect any crap that flow into the sump. I would use either live rock rubble or bio balls. You don't want anything in that section that will collect detritus (non-living particulate organic material).

No, the pot scrubbers will also collect any crap that flow into the sump. I would use either live rock rubble or bio balls. You don't want anything in that section that will collect detritus (non-living particulate organic material).
Okay I will take all the sponges out and get some bio balls thanks

Ok these are old but I haven't updated for a while (Sorry for that)

Filling the beast :D
img_1171601_0_57123400f7535421b6917628116dbddc.jpg

After everything was settled (It has changed)
img_1171601_1_12ebdd7dc725a50038ad8e40e3595306.jpg

This has been changed so I will put up some pics later to show the new look! :)

Wouldn't bio-balls also collect lots of crap and become nitrate blooms???

In my opinion go with live rock or nothing at all and just get yourself one very good protein skimmer...

Yes, bioballs will also be a nitrate factory if used as a wet/dry. So will LR rubble. The difference is that LR rubble is porous and has deep areas that become anoxic and house the bacteria that turn nitrite into nitrate. Some of the newer materials (ceramic rings, etc) are also supposed to have the same type of structure. Plastic bioballs do not, though some folks don't seem to have a problem with them. PWC's can make up for a lot.

Ok so this is the current set-up! :) I still have to get lids and also put the canopy on.
img_1172445_0_fe3378dbb4e3d785bd733c22f06cec47.jpg

I think I also need to get a Powerhead on the opposite side of the tank.

wet/dry and nitrate

What make you guys think that nitrate is so bad? If nitrate is bad, nitrite is worse and more toxic. If you do not want nitrate you will have nitrite. The nitrogen cycle is but from ammonia to nitrite to nitrate to nitrogen. you do not want it to stop it at nitrite do you? or to slow it down from nitrite to nitrate.

To get rid of nitrite is to convert it into nitrate as soon as possible. Even better, remove the waste via mechanical filtration and protein skimmer before it could turn into ammonia in the first place!

What's else is best to convert nitrite into nitrate = Wet/Dry!

Wet/dry is so ez to maintain and cost no more after initial investment if you use bioballs as medium. No pump whatsoever needed. Periodiacally clean/change the prefilter is what you need to do. The prefilter itself removes much of the waste from gettting into the nitrogen cycle.

Cheers
Stevie

Ok I have some inhabitants in the tank now, I put in a grunt and two small blennies in last week after the tank was cycling for about a month. Today I added 2 true percula clowns. They seem to be doing good so far (fingers crossed) I also am getting 2 1300 gph powerheads soon they should increase the water circulation greatly. I also got a bunch of Bio-balls, they are in my flter now along with some pot scrubbers (I did some research and I can use these in a salt tank) The only thing left is to get the lids for it. Does anyone know where I can find and order two 24" L x 18" W lids for it? I already tried Drs Foster and Smith and they don't have any. Any help will be greatly appreciated! :)

Well sad news I lost the clown in the 125, and I emergency transferred the other one into my established tank. Guess I waiting another couple weeks to start adding hardy fish :'(

Back
Top Bottom