150 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

solo

Aquarium Advice Activist
150 gallon tank long would be to small for a yellow tang and what size Sump for size of tank still deciding on setup im nw to saltwater hobby I read and was told from other member algae Srubber this would still be a refugium Sump I'm so lost with sumps still

People say 6' min. for a tang, but I think a 150 is fine for a tang. The size of sump depends on the size of the skimmer and what you want to put in your sump like a refugium, pumps for reactors, bubble trap (baffles), room for main pump. Calculate that all in and try to get the largest sump that will fit under your stand. I have a 55 gallon under my 70 and 1/3 is for my refugium, the rest goes to the skimmer and smaller pumps then a bubble trap and out to the external pump.

Thanks still can't decide on sump refugium algae srubber I was told it helps with the nitrates and phosphate and hear internal overflow box is the best I'm so stuck on filters I know canister filters you got to clean weekly often so I'm not going with that method can I ask what method you have cause I want good water quality I know its different than freshwater hobby bin with fresh water hobby 15 year's

The thing about algae scrubbers is that for some reasons alot of people are afraid to use then for some reason. I was one of those people. It's actually very easy to build and will outcompete macro algae for food because it is so efficient.

So i need a protein skimmer pump and algae Srubber is what in Sump I know you need light to grow algae I learned that with my Fw hobby had tank by window and sun made tank green I moved it away from window cause I'm nervous on building a sump hear people say it cheaper to build than buy already built

It's actually very simple a good site is Melevs reef . Com. They explain all avenues check it out.

Thanks daniel do you have refugium sump algae scrubber system

Most people don't run algae scrubbers. I seriously doubt he has one. Most people don't know a ton about them so they don't have them.

So what should I setup what kind of sump refugium I'm so lost with filters for saltwater hobby

Get a sump with skimmer and algae scrubber. 3 chambers. So water comes in-> skimmer -> algae scrubber -> return. Really use google.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok ill look into your method what size skimmer

And how many years you bin this hobby if you don't mind me asking and no I'm no trolling just asking advice before I go my lfs and buy tank and equipment

I just built a 20 long refigium for my 75 the hardest part was getting it under the tank. I had to remove everything lift the tank and set it in the stand. Well worth the effort and no I don't have a algae scrubber. you can make one yourself or buy one. In the long run you will be happy with it.

Thanks Daniel for advice and what size sump for a 150 gallon tank should I get and what kind of Sump Daniel your running system refugium or regular setup

I'm running a refigium I got my design from the owner of oceans below here in Fl I had my plan but he gave me a few ideas and he was right on.the bigger the better just make sure you have access to it like adding rocks,changing your filter sock etc. not enough room to work in it makes it tough.most important maintience is water changes if you keep up on them you will be fine.

You can always add a algae scrubber if needed you seem to be overwhelmed with this.gather your info do some research find a local store or someone else in this hobby to help you and all will be fine. It's really simple and patience is key you can always add more down the road. I started with hob they worked fine.

Thanks daniel Im planning out my setup going to go to my lfs and see what style tank he has 150 gallon with stand and canopy I see tank on drfoster smith its almost 3 thousand dollar's can I get a cheaper tank at my lfs sorry for asking to much questions on here I'm new to saltwater I want setup once but right will my lfs give me the best equipment but I'm reading alot

Back
Top Bottom