16 G setup need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VinnyP

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I'm new to the saltwater setting up and need some help. I have a 16 g Fluval Edge Tank and it's been fishless cycling since Monday (4 days). When testing both my nitrite and nitrate are at zero but my ammonia is at around .25 to .5 how do I get this down. Bare with I'm still new with all the fish lingo and what's what. I also have one live rock around 2 lbs 10lbs of live sand and some fake decor. Let me know any advice would be great help

Firstly you want to shoot for 16lbs live rock, the general rule is 1-1.5 pounds per gallon. As far as your cycle goes you can either feed the the cycle or add one hardy fish. To feed you put food in the tank, I've heard of people using fish food. Another option is to throw a piece of shrimp in there or you can dose ammonia. Hopefully someone can chime in with further help on how to fish less cycle I'm no expert. With your cycle you are building up the bacteria to convert waste(ammonia) into nitrites then to nitrates then to nitrogen. You need to run the cycle till ammonia and nitrites are zero.

Back
Top Bottom