2 Questions from a newbie...Can you help me??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

b3noodles

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey again all,
1st questions is that we want to add 2 more fish to our tank.. a foxface lo and a pajama cardinal. Will they get along with our other tank mates? 1 yellow tang
2 perc. clowns
1 lm blenny
1 royal grama
1 chocolate chip star & 1 unidentified star(hes little)
assorted snails and crabs 1 spider crab
1 cleaner and 1 peppermint shrimp
2nd question is how exactally do you feed a starfish- I was at the local grocery store looking at their fresh fish and stuff and was at a loss. Do you buy previously frozen no bones or with bones or what I was told I need to get a hunk of shrimp or something and set the star on top is that right?
Thanks in advance all for putting up with all my questions!!! Sue :0)

Your tank is already to full IMO. No tang should be in a 55, let alone a banner fish. The foxface would be ok, but I would return the tang and get the foxface. Also to feed them just get a small piece of shrimp, gently lift the star and set its base over the shrimp. It will eat it.

According to Dr. Fosters a yellow tang needs a 50 gal or larger and we have a 55. We have had it for about 4 months and returning it is not an option. I was just wondering if a foxface lo and a pajama cardinal will get along. Everytime I post a question six-line tells me to return my tang and thats not my question. Thanks Sue :0)

When you ask questions on message boards you get answers hopefully. If you don't like the answers then you are free to ingnore them.
However, most times the advice from experienced hobbyists is best heeded. Otherwise you might just as well go ahead and do what you want to do anyway.
You aren't going to like my advice either, I expect.
With a chocolat chip starfish, you obviously are not going to have a reef tank.
Starfish, although many do feed them, never needed feeding in any of my tanks. They lived off the detritus, algae, uneaten fish food that they encountered in the tanks.
For a 55 gal tank your tank is already fully stocked.
My nineties only have five fish in each of them and you have that many in a 55? As the fish grow, you will probably have overloading of the biological filter, not to mention high stress levels of the fish that require more territory.
Adding a foxface now, after the tang is already there is really asking for trouble as the yellow will fight to defend what little territory he has.

Yes I understand how a forum works My question was not should I get rid of my tang but if it would get along with a foxface lo and a pajama cardinal.If noone wants to answer that then thats fine. No I am not going for a reef tank or else I would not have gotten the CC star. I have read up on these issues and have found conflicting info as if they would get along or not so thats what I was asking. Thanks Sue :0)

Im pretty sure he is trying to say that the tang will not get along with the foxface because lack of territory. So that pretty much answers the question. On Foster and Smith it says that you should use caution when putting tangs and foxfish together. I personally wouldn't do it. Maybe that will help *shruggs*

As you know, the Yellow Tang is highly territorial and the Foxface is generally peaceful. But they both need to graze and eat the same thing, algae. Question will there be enough algae for the two of them to naturally graze? Probably not cause I'm sure your tank is well maintained so you'll be supplementing with spirulina flakes or a clip with Nori? You better have two clips on opposite ends of the tank or the Yellow Tang will get nasty.

It's always an easier decision not to get something than to get rid of something. You sound like you really love your Tang, so why take a chance on throwing off the balance of your tank. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom